Cordless HD/stationary tools w/corded power!

JeremyJ

I am really loving this industry push towards a cordless jobsite. With Milwaukee and Ridgid coming out with proper battery miter saws and Dewalt with their miter saw, table saw and power source the future is almost here.

Can we all agree that stationary tools/saws/room lights/fans and vacuums should all have receptacles for an extension cord?

Even Ryobi can afford to put these on their moderately priced 18v light and fan, both. I am looking at the purchase of a Milwaukee miter saw, but without a way to plug it in..... this is kind of a deal breaker. Future table saw, lights, fans and small vacuums will also get the same thought process. You do you guys look at this?

The main issue with having the plug is the AC v DC electric, so some companies don't put motors in their tools that run on DC power so with a light its a little different than a drill or something like that. The flex volt miter was specifically designed to run on AC and DC power so companies would have to take that into account, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

The main issue with having the plug is the AC v DC electric, so some companies don't put motors in their tools that run on DC power so with a light its a little different than a drill or something like that. The flex volt miter was specifically designed to run on AC and DC power so companies would have to take that into account, 

Actually almost every corded tool uses a brushed motor that doesnt care if its ac or dc. I believe AVE ran a hypoid saw on 9V batteries. In fact dewalt should be able to make a 60X2 port that runs dc capable tools.

The problem with an 18V dual source miter saw is the 18V power supply which would need to supply upwards of 50A. Think ten laptop power supplies taped together. The brushless motor controller could be made to handle 120V natively but again its expensive

Brushless motors run off AC, they require an internal inverter to run off of the DC batteries.

With LEDs, they can sort of run off AC or DC. When powered by DC they are always on. When powered by AC they will only light on the positive sine wave so it will flicker at 60 times a second(in the US), you can't really see it but it can make you sick because your brain can detect it.

Actually almost every corded tool uses a brushed motor that doesnt care if its ac or dc. I believe AVE ran a hypoid saw on 9V batteries. In fact dewalt should be able to make a 60X2 port that runs dc capable tools.

The problem with an 18V dual source miter saw is the 18V power supply which would need to supply upwards of 50A. Think ten laptop power supplies taped together. The brushless motor controller could be made to handle 120V natively but again its expensive

Yeah I mentioned that in the other thread everyone was speculating on, having a universal motor on corded tools means it could use either power source, not very conveniently tho

Brushless motors run off AC, they require an internal inverter to run off of the DC batteries.

With LEDs, they can sort of run off AC or DC. When powered by DC they are always on. When powered by AC they will only light on the positive sine wave so it will flicker at 60 times a second(in the US), you can't really see it but it can make you sick because your brain can detect it.

Yeah I see that with led Christmas lights, not everyone notices it tho

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yeah I see that with led Christmas lights, not everyone notices it tho

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup, it's what makes them look like they're twinkling. I can see it too, I noticed it first on a Sharp LED tv we had apart, they use AC and alternate the LEDs. I was the only one in the shop that noticed and I was the only one out of the loop that it was AC. The original DLP TVs used to make me feel sick, I'd see weird colors bleeding through. Turns out that some, very few, people could see that too, it was that we literally pick up the movement of the mirrors reflecting light between the 1 and 0 position.