DTD154 or DTD70

HiltiWpg

23 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Wondering if anyone has played with either the DTD154 or 170.

they are identical in dimensions, the only real difference seems to be the drive modes. The 170 has 6 and is a little louder.

I am seriously looking at this impact, 3800 rpm is no joke!

Yeah that's screaming. I'd be interested in getting their oil drive impact......*sigh*.... someday

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Surprised they haven't tried to up the torque around red and yellows range, although with 3800 rpms... That's quick 

It seems like those torque are just marketing gimmicks and we've seen how little Makita cares about marketing in the US.  They change the anvil design to it transmits a higher impulse which is great for breaking a bolt loose but makes no difference in wood.  Think of it like punching vs. shoving.

7 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

It seems like those torque are just marketing gimmicks and we've seen how little Makita cares about marketing in the US.  They change the anvil design to it transmits a higher impulse which is great for breaking a bolt loose but makes no difference in wood.  Think of it like punching vs. shoving.

True, they just do what they want, never the less their impacts are awesome 

• 1 month later...
If you open up the back on those 2 models you see a difference in electronics that control the Brushless motors.   I'm nop engineer so I haven't the slightest idea what the different electronics might do.   Maybe more drive modes = more electronics?

The 170 has an additional cam-out mode. The back just holds the rotor etc, not sure which electronics you are referring to. The control board is indeed a completely different model number.

I like the metal vs plastic around the front. Might not make a difference, but I sleep better!

Cam out, not something I really needed. For some guys it may be worth the extra $30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.makita.ca/data/upload/parts_breakdown/DTD170Z%20-%20JUN2016.pdf

http://www.makita.ca/data/upload/parts_breakdown/DTD154RTE,%20DTD154RME,%20DTD154ZZ%20-%20JUN2016.pdf

• 1 month later...