DCK287D2 initial thoughts

Bremon

I can get many images to work (really need to get around to joining a image hosting site lol) but I have some initial thoughts:

DCD796: the attached spotlight is fantastic. Can't believe it took this long for someone to think it up. The chuck is very nice and I really like the texture on it. The unit feels very solid. 

I am starting to wonder what makes a drill a compact. This drill is barely different than my M18 Fuel 2704 in any dimension. Starting to think any drill is a compact if you slap a 1.5-2.0 pack on it lol. No, actually it's just a testament to how small the flagship models are getting. I believe the 996 is only about half an inch bigger than the 2704. With a 2.0 on it the weight difference seems negligible as well. I may throw it on the kitchen scale in a bit for comparison.

The DCF887: virtually identical dimensions to my M18 Fuel 2753. The Fuel is narrower at the nose and has a slimmer motor housing. The 887 has a great light setup, the M18s isn't great. I notice the yellow tinge to the lights that Craig and others have mentioned. I'm not totally convinced it's just the lights, some of that tone seems to come from the plastic housing of the impact. I was disappointed to see a made in China label on it when the 885s are Mexico and Dewalt keeps banging the "American pride" drum.

Overall I'm not convinced I'll keep the 887 but the 796 is definitely a keeper. The 887 would certainly be a keeper if I didn't already have a very similar impact lol.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Jeff, fiddling with them more I'm fairly disappointed with the trigger lock-out toggle. Pretty weak/mushy. Somewhat of a positive click, but nothing like Milwaukee's. 

The 796 has a softer feel but the 887s has a shorter throw. I'm sure it varies from unit to unit. If you open them up you'll see how mediocre these switches are (not specifically talking about the Dewalts with regards to those switches).

The gear selector on the drill for speeds 1 and 2 is beefy and has plenty of resistance and a satisfying click. Very reminiscent of the gen 2 Fuel, which initially I didn't like, but have grown to prefer over the softer throw of the gen 1. As always, different strokes for different folks. I think I remember Jimbo comment on the selector on the 996 transmission, and has experience with the 796 as well I think. Maybe he could chime in?

The speed selector on the 887 is more traditional compared to the 2753. I prefer the Milwaukee's button vs. the Dewalt's switch, but I could definitely see old school guys preferring the yellow version. I must say, I really liked how stout the 887 seems. The metal casing on the business end is beefy and tough looking. I have plenty of experience with a pile of 885s having the hell beat out of them at work and I have no reason to doubt the 887 will be any different durability wise. 

• Like 1

My observation on the full size versus compact is that the full size has the capability of using an auxiliary handle while the compact does not. The difference in length comes from that plus the transmission difference between the 2 and 3 speeds. I suspect there is a pretty decent weight difference between the 796 and the 996 too.

Having had both your compared tools I'd give the edge on the impact quality to the Milwaukee, drills are pretty equal. Loved the 791/796, great drill, used it for most drilling, but the Milwaukee impact just feels tougher than the Dewalt, pretty equal in performance though, Dewalt stuff is a tic quicker

• Like 1

Grumpy I'm sure there is, the 996 is between .5 and .75" longer I believe. The Fuel is similar or lighter than the 996 I would guess.

Also, the 796 looks like it can accept a side handle, it has the metal ring on the collar typical of Dewalt. The 791 does not have that ring.

Thanks for chiming in Jimbo. I prefer the narrow build of the Fuel but the Dewalt seems like a great product.

Yes, but the difference shrinks when you compare the 2701 or 791 to a 2703 or 991. If the meaty part of my 2701-22ct kit ever gets here I'll post thoughts on that too. A 791 was likely the best choice for me but there were no deals to be had like on the 796 kit, though if there are any crewmembers who have the 791 and want the hammer function that would suit me just fine :lol:

yeah.

I must say though, I'd take a 791/796 for everyday use (if it had the power required for my trade) over the premium drills. The length and weight difference of the premium is obvious to me every time i pick up a premium drill now.

But i agree, the big drills are getting smaller and lighter, and much more comfortable now days.

Yeah that was the big appeal of buying the 2701 and 796. There are times I drag my feet because I don't feel like dragging out a big tank of a drill for small tasks. I definitely agree with you Dwain, especially after checking weights. When you're carrying tool pouches around on a belt every pound counts. 

On August 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM, dwain said:

yeah.

I must say though, I'd take a 791/796 for everyday use (if it had the power required for my trade) over the premium drills. The length and weight difference of the premium is obvious to me every time i pick up a premium drill now.

But i agree, the big drills are getting smaller and lighter, and much more comfortable now days.

791 has great power in a small chasis, defiantly recommend it if your in the 20v line

2704 w/5.0: 5lb 2.6 oz

2704 w/2.0: 4lb 7.5 oz

796 w/2.0: 3lb 8.8 oz

so nearly a full pound of weight savings over the full size, despite the 2704s compact exterior. 

In this pic you can see the 996 is clearly the biggest, but I think it's light placement, more adjustable side handle (wider range of placement rather than 90* to either side of the main handle), and 3 speed transmission makes it the best all around drill of the bunch. Seems like it can handle anything.

2704 is probably my favorite overall because it's power:weight ratio is just bananas. It's aux handle seems safer than Dewalts; more securely placed and better leverage.

796 is fantastic, the light weight and thoughtful features make it an excellent choice, though I have no use for the hammer function (why do I own so many drills?) so may yet wheel and deal my way into a 791.

The 2701 is nice, but I think if you're in M18 you may as well just get a 2703. The 2704 is barely bigger, the 2703 is shorter than the 2704 I believe. A 791 is lighter, more powerful, has a belt clip (wtf Milwaukee), and the light is far more useable. To me, Dewalt clearly has a better compact and there is no real argument otherwise. Fuel gen2 has really put a damper on M18 compacts for me, they just aren't as compelling as they were because the Fuel models are so versatile. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bremon said:

2704 is probably my favorite overall because it's power:weight ratio is just bananas. It's aux handle seems safer than Dewalts; more securely placed and better leverage.

Ah OK so it's not just me, I always felt like the fuel handle felt more secure than the type that clamps a band around the housing like my sds drill.

Also I have three versions of the fuel drills and impacts and get asked what I'm doing with so many drills lol! I don't exactly ask what I'm doing with that many, I just try to justify it lol

• Like 1