Unmarketed feature for the new grinder?

Hugh Jass

I just read a post on facebook from someone who says they have the new grinder and found a feature that nobody is talking about. Apparently if you take the 4 screws out of the top head assembly, you can rotate it 90 degrees to change the angle of the blade. 

I find this very interesting indeed! I do very little grinding and mostly cutting so I'll be testing this out for sure, the improvement in ergonomics of grip would be substantial. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I think that works on almost every grinder or at least a lot of them.  Usually it opens up the gearcase though so it's not something you want to do on a dusty jobsite (ie. the kind where you're using a grinder)

Huh, not something I've ever heard of...does the 20v do this too? 

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I recall the 18V dewalt did so the 20V should.

It's not something that's advertised, just inherent from the easiest way to assemble the gearhouse of an angle grinder.  I first discovered it by accident when I reassembled a Makita angle grinder the wrong way. 

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Look at the gearbox portion of any grinder you would like to change, measure the spacing between the bolts and see if they are evenly spaced. Remove all four rotate 1/4 turn and put bolts back in. I am not going to tell you that you can't turn it one direction, you can learn that all on your own. You can eat all the grinding dust/ sparks you want if you insist it be on the side that throws it toward you instead of away... 

1 minute ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Look at the gearbox portion of any grinder you would like to change, measure the spacing between the bolts and see if they are evenly spaced. Remove all four rotate 1/4 turn and put bolts back in. I am not going to tell you that you can't turn it one direction, you can learn that all on your own. You can eat all the grinding dust/ sparks you want if you insist it be on the side that throws it toward you instead of away... 

Or perhaps I'd rub both of my brain cells together and just use the guard...or maybe I won't so I can eat debris, that sounds pretty good too. 

(>.>)