What is the Dewalt flexvolt stud drill good for?

KnarlyCarl

I wonder if a more compact version is in the works to compete more with the hole hawg and not the super hawg. The stud and joist drill is a decent tool, but it is not for everyone. I wonder if the average guy would replace his corded drill for a flexvolt drill. I see a lot of guys who have a corded drill for the occasional mud, grout, cement, or paint mixing. Don't know if the extra costs would be worth it to them to cut the cord. Maybe to someone who already is invested into flexvolt but Im not sure about anyone else. 

17 hours ago, Bremon said:

Eugh. Sparky channel. Sat through that whole obnoxious video to hear what I already knew: the two drills fit different niches. 

Ehh yeah agreed. sorry @PH1 I guess I'll decline watching them, I saw them floating around the youtube playlists and his videos leave a bit to be desired.

So that's a typical old way of drilling holes for rough in plumbing with that flexvolt drill. Using self feed "chipper" bits as we call them. I have since abandoned those self feed bits in favor of carbide tip hole saws or Milwaukee BigHawg hole saws (which use 3 hardened steel teeth instead of carbide) I can use a lower power drill like a regular hammer drill or the smaller HoleHawg. I did this so I didn't need a big power drill like he's using. No wonder he's burning through drills. Like I always say, find an easier way to drill with less power, not a harder way that requires more power (more control, more fighting, more expended energy etc)

Plus you don't have to dig the plugs out of the hole saws like he's doing with the conventional bimetal ones, they tend to come right out with little coaxing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2448jman said:

the flexvolt isnt much wider than the hole hawg. If you rotates the top handle to the front it would be almost as compact as the hole hawg. Just a couple inches wider.

Couple inches wider! That's a lot! I use my regular cordless drill with hole saws and it's narrow enough to really get in some tricky spots, couple inches wider is a real deal killer

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 3:47 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Couple inches wider! That's a lot! I use my regular cordless drill with hole saws and it's narrow enough to really get in some tricky spots, couple inches wider is a real deal killer

If you use Spyder hole saws, the plugs are even easier to remove, with their Rapid Core Eject feature. Aviable as both TCT (Tungsten Carbide-Tipped), Bi-Metal HSS, and HSS+. Their Rapid Core Eject feature also makes it much easier to remove plugs in their bi-metal versions compared to regular bi-metal hole saws. http://www.spyderproducts.com/toolpages/spyder-hole-saw/

They look identical to the Australian Sutton Tools tungsten carbide tipped hole saws except for the color:

Sutton product website: http://www.sutton.com.au/product-category/trade-diy/trade-holesaws/trade-holesaws-tct/ 

The Italian CMT Orange Tools and Dutch ProFit Holesaws also has a very similar system. The CMT and ProFit looks identical except for the color:

http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=HS~~1
Also offering bore enlargement by piggy-backing two different sized cups:

X3.jpg

http://www.profitholesaw.com/9-profit-hole-saws-multi-purpose

products-multi-purpose_39_o.jpg

products-multi-purpose_41_o.jpg

The CMT and ProFit cups looks identical to Sutton Tools and Spyder Products, so it's not unlikely they're all made by the same manufacturer. But the CMT and ProFit quick release looks a bit different than Spyder Products and Sutton Tools.

Here's a very nice in-depth review of the Spyder tungsten carbide-tipped hole saws by locksmith Wayne Winton (https://wayneslockshop.com). He also has reviews of other carbide tipped hole saws like Bosch.

He also has this Ultimate Guide To Hole Saw Bits For Drilling Wood, Steel, Stainless Steel, Stone, Masonry,Concrete

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ten years ago, Relton was my go to for carbide tipped hole saws. Nothing else could beat them for speed and longevity in punching grommet holes through countertops of most material types at that time. They are still active in production today with a wide variety of designs for various material type cuts. They never were an inexpensive choice, but I still have the ones I purchased originally and will be able to have them resharpened if ever needed.

http://relton.com/hole-saws/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JMG said:

Ten years ago, Relton was my go to for carbide tipped hole saws. Nothing else could beat them for speed and longevity in punching grommet holes through countertops of most material types at that time. They are still active in production today with a wide variety of designs for various material type cuts. They never were an inexpensive choice, but I still have the ones I purchased originally and will be able to have them resharpened if ever needed.

http://relton.com/hole-saws/

Wow you're not kidding!!

Screenshot_20161114-013542

8 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

If the eclutch is as unreliable as people say thats just asking for trouble.

Clutch issues aside, what bothers me about this picture is that the man is using a heavy, high torque tool, overhead, while balancing on what looks to be an eight foot tall step ladder. We kept an aluminum rolling scaffold around for this type of work. You could at least spread your feet apart and improve your chances on one of those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Bremon said:

HD carpentry on IG is doing weigh ins for FlexVolt tools with 9.0 vs Fuel tools with 9.0. I didn't realize the Super Hawg was over a pound heavier than DeBeast, and that's with Dewalt having the heavier battery. Looks can be deceiving I guess!

Saw that, yeah that was a surprise! 

It might be a good thing tho

I wasn't surprised about the circ saw DeWalt being heavier, and that might be a good thing too

12 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Saw that, yeah that was a surprise! 

It might be a good thing tho

I wasn't surprised about the circ saw DeWalt being heavier, and that might be a good thing too

Hold on to DeBeast extra tight; lighter could mean easier for it to break your nose lol. Circ saw being heavier likely is an advantage cutting right side up, but upside down not so much. I took a look at the FlexVolt circ saw in HD this past weekend, it's a sample size of one, but it's shoe was rock solid. Shame about that rafter hook though. 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:18 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Lol I tend to do that sometimes!

Here's an example of how impressive but impractical the drill(really the bit itself) is, 4" self feed bit:

This requires a lot of counter force on the drill as you see, but i think this drill would work better with a carbide tip hole saw (CTHS shall we say?). The main problem I have with this is just the bit really in this example. 

I would not want to drill this all day, and not even after a few holes ha. 

Need a carbide hole saw instead! 

What happens when you bottom out on a hole saw? I grab my hammer and use the claw to pry the plug until it snaps off from the rest of the wood and pull it out and keep going! I've done this many enough times to know I don't want to use a self feed bit for that. I let the CTHS do the work for me, with little counter force required to hold onto the drill.

Ridiculous power in the drill tho, hold onto it for dear life!!!

are hatefulmechanic and @KnarlyCarl the same person?

Really glad I impulse bought this over a tool I really needed (smh). I've drilled out a handful of houses now for electrical, and not having to deal with that cord was incredible. A huge time saver. I flipped the handle and it feels more natural using it.

• Like 2

These  are definitely the type of tool that if you don't have a specific use for them might be a little meh but if you DO have a specific use are a lifesaver. I have a Milwaukee M12 right angle impact that I don't use all the time but when you have a cramped space that you can't even think about getting a regular pistol grip impact into it's a lifesaver and worth every penny. Still though I find myself using it more and more for jobs where all out power is meaningless... 

1 hour ago, JerryNY said:

These  are definitely the type of tool that if you don't have a specific use for them might be a little meh but if you DO have a specific use are a lifesaver. I have a Milwaukee M12 right angle impact that I don't use all the time but when you have a cramped space that you can't even think about getting a regular pistol grip impact into it's a lifesaver and worth every penny. Still though I find myself using it more and more for jobs where all out power is meaningless... 

I still need that thing, haven't seen ya in a while jerry where have ya been?!