My main bathroom remodel

rrich1

On 12/24/2016 at 5:13 PM, rrich1 said:

Well I didn't make my deadline. We had family over today and wanted it done before then. I wasn't able to work on it much yesterday due to the wife's family Christmas. Here is how it stands right now. The toilet and faucet are hooked up. Tub still needs to be put together and the drawer fronts need to be put on.

e782cd01a7742c5e2b95c5fc1123d073.jpg
ed6fb9332a18a482f46e0547ac26866f.jpg
0c6ad7a3ba36e4d0542dba1088e988ea.jpg
451c78adbe6c64bcb15ad7b96efa9596.jpg
0eb4aa662e2d7a9c27524285e0b896c0.jpg
434a313d100a2bf77774ed6b9b219af2.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That looks fantastic. Great work so far!

• Like 2

I got the wall accessories up minus the mirror. Also caulked the joints and around the shower knob and outlet. I bought some sealer I will try and out on tomorrow night. Plan for tomorrow is to get at least the drawer fronts on. Not happy with the doors. Aside from that it is ready to go. Will get better pics when the drawers are on.

Looks awesome! Me and Dad are fixing to gut his hallway bath for the second time in 6 years! It just didn't come out like we wanted. The layout was about as much as we could do with such a small space, but the finish of the walls and floor came out horrible. At the time Dad made a deal with another contractor to do the shower in this faux stone finish that looks like large stones. They said they would do the restroom walls and floor as well, if Dad upgraded their small shop. Well when we left and they came in to finish the texture they added a horrible pink tint to it! The restroom went from old robins egg blue tile, to pink stone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@DaveJr. Awesome. Hope to see a build thread.

@NicasRamos that's no good! Hope to see a thread as well.

So I let the caulk set up and I tried the water. I have water coming out of the shower head when it shouldn't. Ugh! I was so close to finishing this. From what I am reading it could be that I used 1/2 " pex from the handle to the shower head? I guess I should have used 3/4" there instead? I really don't want to cut a hole in the stairwell drywall to replace that. If anyone has any ideas it would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Like 1

@DaveJr. Awesome. Hope to see a build thread.

@NicasRamos that's no good! Hope to see a thread as well.

So I let the caulk set up and I tried the water. I have water coming out of the shower head when it shouldn't. Ugh! I was so close to finishing this. From what I am reading it could be that I used 1/2 " pex from the handle to the shower head? I guess I should have used 3/4" there instead? I really don't want to cut a hole in the stairwell drywall to replace that. If anyone has any ideas it would be GREATLY appreciated.

At the very least I'll do a before and after shot. We're gearing up for a pretty busy few months. One project alone is 3x 5,000 sq. Ft. Bunk houses, and a general store on a bird hunting farm. A 3000 footer that's getting ready to be sheetrocked next week, and a 4500 that we're currently roughing in. We turned down a treehouse build that will be on treehouse masters, because we're already booked solid. We just won't have enough time to do it ourselves. Just the demo, redoing the electrical of course, and paint. I'm "plumb" stupid [emoji23], and I don't have the skill or patience for tile. So that'll be done by someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

well crap. I called American standard today about the leaking water issue. they told me there cannot be any pex coming down from the handle to the tub spout. there can be pex everywhere else though. I used pex straight down from the handle to the elbow then copper pipe coming out to the tub spout. not sure what I am gong to do now. I can cut a hole in the wall behind it but with the elbow there and screwed in from the front it isn't like I can bend a copper pipe to fit it in.

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

well crap. I called American standard today about the leaking water issue. they told me there cannot be any pex coming down from the handle to the tub spout. there can be pex everywhere else though. I used pex straight down from the handle to the elbow then copper pipe coming out to the tub spout. not sure what I am gong to do now. I can cut a hole in the wall behind it but with the elbow there and screwed in from the front it isn't like I can bend a copper pipe to fit it in.

Ah crap man, I knew this, really wish I could've helped you with this!! That sucks, especially since I knew to tell you but didn't think of it. 

The Pex and especially the fitting will restrict water flow and make it go up the shower head. 

Brass nipples, or copper down and out

Ah crap man, I knew this, really wish I could've helped you with this!! That sucks, especially since I knew to tell you but didn't think of it. 

The Pex and especially the fitting will restrict water flow and make it go up the shower head. 

Brass nipples, or copper down and out

It isn't anyone's fault. They didn't have it in their directions at all and I should have researched more I guess. Now I get the task of trying to figure this out.

OK...Im on lunch now and I think I know what I am going to do. My staircase to the basement
is behind that wall. I am going to cut a hole and then cut the section of the tub spout brace on both sides of the 90 degree elbow leading to the tub spout. With the elbow still attached to the wood but free to rotate, I will cut the pex off and hope that I can get the downward fitting off from the valve. Put in shark bite fittings with a copper tube. Then I will put a backer piece on and secure it to the piece I cut off plus the two pieces of the brace that I left on. I pocket holed the braces in so they are sturdy. I'll do the same again once secured to the old brace.

Did that confuse anyone?@knarlycarl

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

What is the vertical distance from your shower valve to your tub spout?

Edit: I went back in your pics and it looks like over 12"?

And how about the tub spout? Does it only accept 1/2" copper pipe, or is it threaded in the back side?

i think it is around 12" I went based off of the height of the tub and what was allowed in the directions for the shower faucet kit.

the elbow I used is threaded for 1/2 pipe. the pipe is threaded directly into the elbow. if I take that section out I could replace the elbow with whatever. and then stick it back in using the same holes the original elbow was held in  place by.

Ok so you're going to have to remove the Pex fitting from the bottom of the shower valve right? 

This is what I use to transition copper to threaded on a support 90, all in one, then thread a nipple in this once installed behind the wall, then the tub spout on to that.  I use this fitting to not restrict the water flow like Pex will do.

If it helps:

IMG_20160902_095329747

IMG_20160902_095321722

The other end of the copper is soldered directly into the shower valve, since you can either solder or use threaded fittings 

IMG_20160902_094651214

.. Hopefully you get a good idea of what you can do based on what your situation will allow. Sharkbite fittings would probably be preferable since you already have the valve in place etc

From this pic I can tell which fitting k have under the valve. The elbow is already a shark bite valve. If I happen to have put a shark bite valve under the shower valve it would make like somewhat easier. Regardless I have to cut the section out with the elbow in it otherwise I won't be able to put the pipe in. I don think this will be as bad as I thought but having to cut the hole is irritating me the most about it.

62da1aa3ddcc6ba926e058dd094d5a28.jpg

Yes, you can get a threaded sharkbite fitting to thread onto the bottom of your shower valve.

Also, maybe get/make a permanent access panel after you cut the hole behind the valve? 

Know what you mean, I've got so focused on doing the work, I miss a lot of pics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes, you can get a threaded sharkbite fitting to thread onto the bottom of your shower valve.

Also, maybe get/make a permanent access panel after you cut the hole behind the valve? 

Know what you mean, I've got so focused on doing the work, I miss a lot of pics

i already thought about making it permanent panel for access to the fixtures if needed. in a staircase so it isnt bad. 

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

i already thought about making it permanent panel for access to the fixtures if needed. in a staircase so it isnt bad. 

Hang a framed poster over it, or incorporate the poster/picture frame into the door panel...

20 hours ago, rrich1 said:

so I tried the water today and had no water coming from the shower head. will not changing it be an issue if it doesn't leak?

Nah, not a real issue, just an annoyance. One I wouldn't be able to get away with for a paying customer tho