Love watching 'pros' work.

StrippedScrew

Got a call today from a lady saying she is in need off a helping hand on a garden bed that seems to have gone south. So later after work I checked in on this garden to see what the job was and the lady asked me would I be willing to finish a job the previous block layer started as he hasn't returned in two months, Before I took the job I decided to check out what has been done already and I knew from first glance that this guy was not a blocklayer. Now the wall is only for a garden bed nothing more but at least put the effort in. I ask the lady was this guy an actual blocklayer and she said yes, and proceeded to she me his work via google image :huh: Looks like Im breaking out the mason tools again. Some pictures for you to cringe over.

First off is how much un level the wall is from one end to the other its about 80-100mm off

hCybMPPl.jpg

Secondly there was no foundation he put a bed of mortar on the grass but not only that his face joints are lacking somewhat :)

2MjPAGTl.jpg

A closer look at the gap

x7UqUQXl.jpg

The topping on the cake was his quote for the job was €600 ( $654 ) Now this is such a basic job even a first year apprentice would sail through it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrippedScrew said:

Got a call today from a lady saying she is in need off a helping hand on a garden bed that seems to have gone south. So later after work I checked in on this garden to see what the job was and the lady asked me would I be willing to finish a job the previous block layer started as he hasn't returned in two months, Before I took the job I decided to check out what has been done already and I knew from first glance that this guy was not a blocklayer. Now the wall is only for a garden bed nothing more but at least put the effort in. I ask the lady was this guy an actual blocklayer and she said yes, and proceeded to she me his work via google image :huh: Looks like Im breaking out the mason tools again. Some pictures for you to cringe over.

First off is how much un level the wall is from one end to the other its about 80-100mm off

hCybMPPl.jpg

Secondly there was no foundation he put a bed of mortar on the grass but not only that his face joints are lacking somewhat :)

2MjPAGTl.jpg

A closer look at the gap

x7UqUQXl.jpg

The topping on the cake was his quote for the job was €600 ( $654 ) Now this is such a basic job even a first year apprentice would sail through it. 

Wait.....is that wrong??????

Just kidding, that sucks. Poor girl got taken to the cleaners by some schmuck! I'd like to see some pics of the re-do!

Wow that's not cool! My buddy just helped me out with my block walls he taught me lots during this project so to see this type of work from a supposed blocker is garbage, your first steps will determine the outcome and that guy fudged up from the beginning.... keep us posted with pics on how u fix it bro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Wait.....is that wrong??????

Just kidding, that sucks. Poor girl got taken to the cleaners by some schmuck! I'd like to see some pics of the re-do!

Yip will keep ye posted on the re do, on the plus side the mortar was a bad mix and I will be able to salvage most of the blocks  no point in throwing them away.

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Cheesewhiz!!! It's a plague, a plague I tell you, that's just such a con job 

What sort of Google images? Stock photos?lol

I didn't really ask but I'd wager it was either stock images or someone else website lol. I mean the level in the photo is the guys level and it was just thrown in behind the blocks, back in my mason days we treated our levels better than our girlfriends ;D. Think I know why I went into the tree business in the end the GF was getting suspicious. 

Bit of an update. I got the blocks off pretty much by smashing them could only save two blocks but what can you do. After getting the blocks off I managed to run a line and get a proper reading the concrete is un-level by 210mm  ??????

There is nothing worse than ripping out new material done wrong it such a waste of money!!

GmF3zUFl.jpg

In most places the concrete was 45mm

YQSkOK6l.jpg

Side note Iv been giving the Fatmax autolock a go and to be honest the autolock feature is not so great, Its holding power is very weak I much prefer the tried and true slide lock

wX7i280l.jpg

• Like 3