New Dewalt 780 problem?

BulletClub

So bought a new 780 miter saw. I go to try the slide action and I notice my blade is dragging when I extend the saw out all the way. I notice the blade cover under is hitting the blade.

now what? I have the picture of the cover and its number 97 in the parts diagram. 

I really don't want to ship this back to amazon. any ideas?

thanks

fpOSnuy.jpg

DWS780_(Type_1)_WW_2.gif

I have seen a video review somewhere that said it was a way to see if the saw had been used. If you were to return the unit and say it has not been used they can tell by that bit of plastic if the saw has been run or not. When you run it for the first time it will cut through it and you will not notice it again. As far as I am aware it is not a fault.  

I don't mean to sound like my username, but who cares? It's done already, plastic wouldn't do anything to the blade. Even if it were aluminum it wouldn't matter. 

Hugh,

If by chance you find the need to use the blade depth to create a Dado or other use, there is a possibility that his saw may not hold the proper depth from front to rear during the cut. This would be the most likely cause of his symptom.

Some may say that this would never be an issue, but I have used my 780 to perform these cuts fairly often when on a job site and have no table saw or router available.

Some may also not even be aware of this function on a sliding compound miter saw, but I assure, it does exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well guess ill be giving amazon and dewalt a call. I am going to try to measure the change in blade height to the table from front to back when I use the height adjustment for dado. I did notice the display saw at home depot had a different plastic cover under the table. So now i am confused. You see in the picture how its raise in the center where the blade is hitting? well the display saw doesn't have that raised center.

• 1 month later...

I believe its normal for it to hit on the first cuts. I have the same piece on my flex volt miter saw and was worried also. I have heard that it is so they can tell of the saw has been used in the event of returns. 

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

Could one set the dado function to high enough as to not hit this plastic but low enough as to cut the wood all the way through?

I dont see why you couldn't.

I am a little curious though. In what situation would you want a dado to go all the way through the wood? 

10 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

I dont see why you couldn't.

I am a little curious though. In what situation would you want a dado to go all the way through the wood? 

I think he's merely suggesting to use the feature in order to prevent the saw from reaching full plunge depth. Still not understanding why anyone cares, however. 

• Like 1