Where to get & look for "reclaimed" wood

olletsocmit

I get my wood from my wife...uh, wait, that sounded really weird.

I work for a warehouse but I haven't asked about taking pallets home, all of the pallets and plywood and whatnot I get from my wife, where she works. Granted, I don't do the kind of quality stuff you guys do, the most I've done is build drawers, a coffee table, etc., out of the stuff I get. However, it may be as simple as asking local warehouses, maybe Home Depot, Menard's, etc., and see what they say. For us, we send all bad pallets out, what happens to them I don't know. I'm sure we get some kind of money for them and they get recycled, but I would imagine some businesses would rather not have the headache and would gladly give some unwanted wood away.

I've built plenty of things at work with the crap wood we get from Chinese shipping crates and whatnot. Built this cart for brake lines/fuel lines recently for the pickers. Of course this is before I finished it, burned out a Milwaukee hole saw, a good one, doing the holes, had to wait for another one to finish the job. Two boards, 96 holes each (was a fun couple of days). Everything on the cart minus the 2x4 came from shipping crates or stuff that was tossed out in the returns department. Top and middle shelves are 1/4" thick composite something-or-other. Kinda like MDF/Masonite...

IMG_1526.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Haha yeah kids are great at that. It was the iron pipe I was alluding to that since working with it in my job, I don't really want to see it in my house as well lol!!!

so it would be the same as a mechanic having this for a bathroom sink

1zyHq.jpg

• Like 1