Where to get & look for "reclaimed" wood

olletsocmit

12 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

I am looking to get into woodworking and really like the reclaimed wood look... suggestions on where to get it guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farms barns pallets take it off your neighbours shed...lol

• Like 1

It depends on the project. Most people source this lumber from old pallets, but there's a warning for this as they're frequently exposed to hazardous chemicals. Read this if you're considering this option and it's something you're going to be in contact with a lot or not properly seal. 

http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

That said I built my coffee table out of old unidentified pallet lumber and PT 4x4's, stained it and sealed it with multiple coats of polyurethane as added protection. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

I am looking to get into woodworking and really like the reclaimed wood look... suggestions on where to get it guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check you local CL. Barn wood is really super over priced but can be found occasionally. Also try doing it yourself. You can age wood with vinegar and steel wool, distress wood with a hammer and chain and use a small plumbers torch.

• Like 2

You could go to home depot and lowes and ask for lumber runners (they're the pieces of wood that they use with banding so tines can get under bunks of building material) Not sure how safe that stuff is but it's usually treated pine or the same lumber that it was used to band with.

Lol what, should I stop burning pallets and start selling them?

Best place to look imho is old onion and potato storage sheds. The air floors have tons of 3"x10"x30" blocks of wood, and depending on when it was built, will have 2x8 rough cut wood slats all the way up the walls. Unless you know a farmer though not likely going to happen. There any old collapsed barns or grain elevators by you I bet you could work out a deal to get some of that wood.

3 hours ago, olletsocmit said:

hhhahaha.  "neighborhood memo" -- hello neighbors, there have been 5 sheds this week stolen, please call with info

The neighborhood barns aren't fairing very well, but Comp has really been cranking out some nice reclaimed wood projects!

10 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Lol what, should I stop burning pallets and start selling them?

Best place to look imho is old onion and potato storage sheds. The air floors have tons of 3"x10"x30" blocks of wood, and depending on when it was built, will have 2x8 rough cut wood slats all the way up the walls. Unless you know a farmer though not likely going to happen. There any old collapsed barns or grain elevators by you I bet you could work out a deal to get some of that wood.

Haha yeah that's all I like using them for, have a good bonfire of camaraderie

11 minutes ago, kruton said:

The neighborhood barns aren't fairing very well, but Comp has really been cranking out some nice reclaimed wood projects!

I could have had a good yard sale with the old lumber from my barn when it blew down instead of burning everything!!

2 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I could have had a good yard sale with the old lumber from my barn when it blew down instead of burning everything!!

We bought a new house a couple years ago and the guy that had it before us left a nice stack of barn wood in the shed.  About a year ago he called and wanted to know if he could maybe come get it.  I told him he was going to have to fight my wife since I had already used it on a project for her!

• Like 2

That's great. I myself miss the point of the reclaimed/stressed look, not a fan. Dislike the whole black iron pipe construction too, not for me

Funny you say that, she has me making a shelf with black pipe for our coffee bar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i think it looks sweet why not for furniture [emoji4] 

I'll have to agree, it doesn't look bad at all. I still have to run the board through the planer then let the kids "antique" it then I'll post some pics...maybe KnarlyCarl will change his mind then! [emoji16]

• Like 2

it's like fashion, bell bottoms and mini skirts......things change......when I was a kid the rustic/rough look of the pallet wood would have been shunned upon people would never want that stuff in their homes let alone pay someone to make it......I was recently cruisin through Sears and there was a bedroom suite with the rustic rough un-even looking theme for a whopping $3900 I swear a 5 year old boy and his 2 sisters could have built it......don't get me wrong some things people are building with it is nice I just can't get into it after the many years my father taught me wood working..... 

• Like 1

My boss has a big pile of pallets. I'm guessing its from all the materials for house builds over the years. They are hard to get rid of. For whatever reason the landfill don't take pallets. I don't know why they wouldn't take them though. I would go to contractors to get pallets or maybe a warehouse type store (ie samsclub).

3 hours ago, kruton said:

I'll have to agree, it doesn't look bad at all. I still have to run the board through the planer then let the kids "antique" it then I'll post some pics...maybe KnarlyCarl will change his mind then! emoji16.png

lol can't wait to see what it looks like :) have a good one 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 0:19 PM, comp56 said:

it's like fashion, bell bottoms and mini skirts......things change......when I was a kid the rustic/rough look of the pallet wood would have been shunned upon people would never want that stuff in their homes let alone pay someone to make it......I was recently cruisin through Sears and there was a bedroom suite with the rustic rough un-even looking theme for a whopping $3900 I swear a 5 year old boy and his 2 sisters could have built it......don't get me wrong some things people are building with it is nice I just can't get into it after the many years my father taught me wood working..... 

My thoughts as well. 

There's a lot of well made pieces with excellent joinery and execution of the old look and I can appreciate the time and energy spent on a project like that, just a mindset I can't ignore from being raised similar to you 

On 11/12/2016 at 11:59 AM, kruton said:

I'll have to agree, it doesn't look bad at all. I still have to run the board through the planer then let the kids "antique" it then I'll post some pics...maybe KnarlyCarl will change his mind then! emoji16.png

Haha yeah kids are great at that. It was the iron pipe I was alluding to that since working with it in my job, I don't really want to see it in my house as well lol!!!