What is Your Internet Speed?

comp56

We are on fibre now as of a couple months ago (screw you Shaw, never going back). We were at 30 down 10 up for $73 CAD. We are now at 150 down, about 40 up last I checked, and our ping is 2 ms (my favourite part is how little latency there is). $70 a month, but for 6 months we pay $50 thanks to wheeling and dealing at a trade show lol. 

This is what Comcast says they supply me with for a monthly fee..

false.jpg

They even falsify the test data by writing code in their system to recognize when certain speed test sites are accessed and open up the pipe to show whatever your data plan is supposed to show...

This is what they actually supply...

actual.jpg

At least until they rewrite their code to include this site.....

• Like 2

Comcast makes me feel less annoyed by Frontier. Supposedly Bright House is looking to get out of this area like Verizon did, rumor is that they're talking to an investment company that might flip it to Comcast...so I can't even leave Frontier if I wanted. Maybe this means Google is planning on expanding to the area? Tampa is often a test market for tech so I have my fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Bremon said:

We are on fibre now as of a couple months ago (screw you Shaw, never going back). We were at 30 down 10 up for $73 CAD. We are now at 150 down, about 40 up last I checked, and our ping is 2 ms (my favourite part is how little latency there is). $70 a month, but for 6 months we pay $50 thanks to wheeling and dealing at a trade show lol. 

we have 2 choices here, Tbaytel or Shaw........thank god shaw has been good in consistent service as we went to tbaytel for 25 days and it cut out 4 times  1 time for more than 24 hours......and kept blaming my modem.... I laughed and said it isn't my modem....went back to shaw......

On 11/18/2016 at 3:58 AM, JMG said:

false.jpg

They even falsify the test data by writing code in their system to recognize when certain speed test sites are accessed and open up the pipe to show whatever your data plan is supposed to show...

actual.jpg

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that tho....

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2016 at 3:58 AM, JMG said:

false.jpg

actual.jpg

I've tested on a dozen different sites and get 93 down 12 up on all of them (as average), testing on that one says I get 7 down. Now I'm not saying you're wrong but there's something not right with that test, my guess is they have horrible servers. 

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've tested on a dozen different sites and get 93 down 12 up on all of them (as average), testing on that one says I get 7 down. Now I'm not saying you're wrong but there's something not right with that test, my guess is they have horrible servers. 

The numbers from the second site match the maximum download rate that Steam feeds me, as well as any other direct feed I have tried. Also the percentages of feed rate are identical on two different speed plans I have had with Comcast at this location. If you run speedtest.com, Comcast will open up the pipe while shutting down all other incoming feeds and give a rate that they have literally fabricated due to the code in their web system. When the test is over, the datarates on "all" of the incomming feeds will return to the lower numbers in total. If you are using the test link on Comcasts site, YOU ARE BEING LIED TO. This is of course, my personal opinion.

9 hours ago, JMG said:

The numbers from the second site match the maximum download rate that Steam feeds me, as well as any other direct feed I have tried. Also the percentages of feed rate are identical on two different speed plans I have had with Comcast at this location. If you run speedtest.com, Comcast will open up the pipe while shutting down all other incoming feeds and give a rate that they have literally fabricated due to the code in their web system. When the test is over, the datarates on "all" of the incomming feeds will return to the lower numbers in total. If you are using the test link on Comcasts site, YOU ARE BEING LIED TO. This is of course, my personal opinion.

Oh I'm sure they're tampering with results for popular sites, have no doubt, but I am not getting 7mbps. They're not stupid enough to fabricated to a factor of 13. increase by 10 here, 12 there maybe. I have one of the best routers on the market with about 15 connected devices in my home. I don't have cable so everything is streamed, sometimes simultaneously like Netflix, Youtube, HBO Go, PS3 gaming, Hulu, etc...

That's not happening on 7mbps. 50? Maybe. 

I get about 30 down and 6 up. Spectrum(TWC). It was way worse but I just spent a bunch of time cleaning up my coax, put on all new high quality ends, relocated my modem and router, added an access point, and hard wired 3 devices to the router to take them out of the WiFi loop. It has made things better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nordraw said:

That is pretty bad to say the least. Can you get faster for more dough?

I could, but would be paying an arm and a dick plus it would be limited to about 10 gb a month, it would be through Verizon over their network.

I have unlimited internet, it's enough for us, we're out in the country, at the end of the line and lucky to get what we do. I can't complain too loudly

• Like 1