Wish list tool

JMG

3 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Well #1 on the list would be all 15,000 or more dollars in tools that got stolen last night. Hopefully one of the insurance companies is willing to grant that wish. 

Dude !!!! That SUX .. sorry to hear that ... I hope it works out somehow !

• Like 1

Went through it all and made up a list for the sherrif and insurance companies. Ended up only being $11,378.93 in value with tax at list price with everything being priced individually. I bought all of it on sale and in kits so it was probably closer to 8k out of pocket. I would have priced it out as I bought it, but the sales are long gone and most of them the entire kit didn't get stolen. If anyone sees a like new Japanese impact driver at a seedy pawn shop in the PNW let me know. I just wish it would have happened before black Friday :D.

If homeowners insurance doesn't cover it the vehicle insurance probably will or vice versa. I guess a lot of other houses on my street got ripped off last night too including a firearm so they might actually do something about it. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I'll raise you, how about a menards, it has the lumber racks already ;)

I chose Walmart because its not a huge tool store like Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I would rather not put a tool store out of business. But you have a good point. The wood racks would be handy. Maybe I could get both. Convert the Walmart to the shop. Could thaw out a freezer or 2 to use as finish and stain storage. Could also use some shelving as wood storage. Probably could increase the size of the eating area then hire someone to run a restaurant out of it. Would probably add a handful of 220 outlets and a 440 outlet or two (just incase) for the big tools.

I would convert the Menards to a home improvement store that only sells quality products. So only top quality wood, top quality engineered wood/plywood, quality finish material, quality furniture hardware, and high quality tools. I was thinking the outside area that stores a bunch of material at the "no longer Menards building" would be enclosed and would have adequate climate control to ensure that the wood materials stay at an optimal moisture content. The newly enclosed area would store more of the common woods, engineered/ply, and metal used then will also store customer orders until they can be picked up or delivered. Also it will have mini displays for items that are not kept in stock. The mini displays would include things like flooring, cabinets, counters, casement, doors, windows, masonry, deck/fence material, and roofing. Also there will be a bargain corner for wood, engineered wood/ply, and metal that may be not up to our quality standards whether it be because of warps, knots, scratches, etc. and will be priced on sale. Bad quality wood will never be mixed with top quality wood. This would be the pro users dream store.

In the main area tools, finish hardware, furniture/cabinet hardware, paint/stain, food section, and some specialty hardware. There will be absolutely no homeowner grade/diy grade tools (Black and Decker, Masterforce, Ryobi). I would probably keep the latest top of the line models of tools in stock until a newer model comes out and any previous models still in stock at the time new models come out will be sent to a section of the store called the bargain corner which will store them at a discounted price. Say I had a couple of dcf886's still in stock when the dcf887's came out. They would go there, and the spot where the dcf886's were would be filled with dcf887's. Would make for a more appealing section for a non pro, diy/homeowner, or a young tradesman with little to no tools and/or not much budget for any.

Each tool company will have their own dedicated section in the store. Well will have pro level tools only because of the quality they provide to the user. We will include a variety of lineups from companies including leaders in hand tools, cordless tools and cabinet/furniture grade tools like Bosch, DeWALT, Festool, Laguna, Makita, Milwaukee, Powermatic, Ridgid, SawStop, and Snapon. Each company will have displays of some items and if a customer wants to test out a particular tool they can ask an employee to setup a demo to let the customer try out the tool. Because of their size cabinet grade tools will not be available on display or in stock but we will ensure the customer can still order the cabinet level tool they desire.

Another section of the main area of the store will have the ability to mix paint, stain, and finishes. We will also have the ability to color match and finish match. We will keep a full line of stain colors from one company in stock. We will also keep in stock a full line of finishes from the same company as the stain as well. Spray paint will also be kept in stock in countless colors to ensure the customer can find the right color and appearance. Brushes and other applicators will be in this section as well.

We will also have a section in the store for finish hardware that includes entry door knobs/handles, entry door hinges, lock kits, finish light fixtures (recessed, sconce, etc.), finish plumbing fixtures (faucets, towel racks, shower heads etc.), ceiling fans, switch covers, and window blinds/curtains with mini displays.

Our furniture/cabinet section will have a wide selection of items as well. We will have a display for pulls, knobs, hinges and locks plus a catalog for even more. We will also include some specialty furniture/cabinet hardware like light kits and slides,

We have another section in the store that has some more specialty hardware like appliances with some displays including some smart appliances. We will also include some smart home tech like LIFX and HUE smart LED light bulbs, smart thermostats, smart smoke/co detectors, etc. Also if a customer wants to outfit their home with security hardware they can find it here as well. It will include cameras, motion detectors, window sensors, etc.

We offer a dedicated section specifically for fueling the worker on the job-site. We will include food options for meals that tradesman like to have on the job-site at affordable prices. We also will include bulk bins filled with a selection of tradesman's favorite snack items like nuts, trail-mix, jerky, etc.

If a customer is not satisfied with our selection of products, is unable to buy a product because it is not in stock, or cant find a product they like, they can get help from an employee to find the correct catalogs with more options of items they are looking for and get those items ordered. 

pretty long post but that's kinda my idea for a giant pro specific home improvement store and wood shop.

• Like 3

Old airplane hangers with three phase 480 are the best shops. They almost always have floor drains and are insulated. Bonus points if it still has a full or partially paved runway for use as a back country "not a dragstrip". Only issue is that you build furniture in one and you'll forget that just because it can fit out the hangar door, doesn't mean it can fit in a house door. I know a guy who ran a whole fleet of container trucks out of a small hanger a farmer used for his spray plane.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically though, I wish for pipe burst equipment....

Spartan tools The Undertaker.. complete system. $32,000

8200000C.jpg

Roddie R2 unit

$18,000 base unit then add what you need, can use an excavator to power the unit instead of dedicated power pack if preferred....

edit_-IMGP1886.jpg

Realistically though, I wish for pipe burst equipment....

Spartan tools The Undertaker.. complete system. $32,000

8200000C.jpg

Roddie R2 unit

$18,000 base unit then add what you need, can use an excavator to power the unit instead of dedicated power pack if preferred....

edit_-IMGP1886.jpg

Just now, Conductor562 said:

That's a pretty sweet kit. I have no need whatsoever for insulated wrenches.....but I want them

same with me I need these like a hole in the head but pff...would look pretty cool havin one hangin out of one of my back pockets......

Just now, comp56 said:

same with me I need these like a hole in the head but pff...would look pretty cool havin one hangin out of one of my back pockets......

I feel like if I had that set people would be like "damn, this guy must be for real". I'd get loads of undeserved respect ?

19 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I feel like if I had that set people would be like "damn, this guy must be for real". I'd get loads of undeserved respect ?

you and me both... my father never hired guys with fancy tools, he said they either worry to much about their tools to do the job right or simply didn't know how to use them!.....in fact one of his job interviews was flip a hammer and ask if they could do that?....if they said hell I could do more than one flip he would say oh...good sorry we have to many guys that do that already!.....

• 3 weeks later...