Oil tank line could burst at any moment???

olletsocmit

My parents live in a 20-year-old home. I was working down the basement and noticed that the 500 gallon oil tank is connected to a very fragile and exposed line running across 20 feet of the basement. The entire basement is finished except this workshop area. Oil tank is connects to the HVAC and I am super worried that if someone steps on the line or it cracks the 500 gallons of oil will flood the basement!! Something about this seems very very unsafe please let me know what to do. I think at least it should be run up in the ceiling where it can't be stepped on but this scares me!3dbcf15a63942adbe568f7997da112e1.jpg

0200c20913df753fdcbf4e5b533fd11b.jpg

afbac8438ca48704b0d22a8e834bad93.jpg

89befe7f57f94c3bf3a394ba4b53b790.jpg

de2c005b2a1f2e8232324585267ee492.jpg

Let me know if you need more pictures or you want me to make a video from where it starts to where it ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These setups are all over the place here, it's so typical to see these 3/8" lines run in all manner of positions. They never seem to be a problem tho, and people are just careful, usually it's in a basement that nobody uses, so there isn't any traffic to raise alarm.

Copper oil lines are very typical on Long Island as well. You can always have it replaced with new copper that has a vinyl coating on it or sleeve it with Seal Tite. (flexible electrical conduit) 

Or if you have the space you can cover the oil line with something to protect it from someone stepping on it. 

The copper is looking pretty corroded though that's one big concern. Wow 20 years old though and still using fuel oil that is kinda surprising though. I thought most new construction was propane over fuel oil? I never realized how convenient having natural gas is. It's cheap as fuck and never really has service interruptions.

in Ontario Canada utilities are through the roof regardless if it is electric, gas, water....tax on tax on tax delivery charges are nuts

beer is cheaper than water almost, we get a water bill every 3 months 90 or so days usually $114 delivery charge $97 service charge $72 Treatment plant crap then $56 for water so almost $100 a month for water if you use it or not.....

back to the original post 

I would at the least replace tubing as soon as possible.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DR99 said:

I heard that Ontario utilities have gotten insane recently. Also Canada manages to have worse cellphone plans than the USA somehow!

$54+ tax for unlimited calls across Canada and USA as long as make call in Canada unlimited video/pic/text 6Gb data then all call features call waiting forward ect ect

ya Ngas is the cheapest right now

• Like 1