Ryobi battery riding lawn mower

KnarlyCarl

On 3/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, wolfie99 said:

Does anyone know where I can replacement 100 ahr batteries in Canada.  I looked and looked and couldn't find any anywhere

I just found a place called Total Battery. Since I live in Gatineau, Quebec, I spoke with the Ottawa store. They are getting some 80ah batteries in about a week, and 100ah batteries by the end of June, he said. Price was the best I have seen so far for these: $266.76 for the 100ah and $233.51 for the 80ah ones.

• Like 1

Very curious as to exactly what brand and model batteries the store is supplying.  The reason I ask is Ryobi specifies only the Leoch LPC12 batteries are to be used in these mowers because the SC-48 charger is set up for them.  I have only heard of one user that has used a different brand of battery, but has not shared his results yet.  The batteries he used have about half the stated charge cycles of the Leoch batteries and they were more expensive than the LPC12s.  I look forward to see your results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have encountered an issue with my rm480e mower. I was checking the voltage at the charging port yesterday and while I had my meter connected to the charging port with alligator clips I turned on the key to see if there was a voltage drop, and then turned it off immediately.

Well I guess the lockout to prevent the mower from turning on while charging must have kicked in because even though I

have removed my meter the mower is totally dead. Turning on the key does nothing and there is zero voltage at the

charging port. What do I need to do to reset my mower? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, John

(I have not been in touch with Ryobi yet and am not too sure the warranty would cover user stupidity (if I am to blame))

John:  First thing I'd check is the master 125 amp. fuse under the seat.  I have an onboard voltmeter that plugs into the charging port.  No issues and I've even run with it plugged into the port.  I have a plug from an incorrect charger Ryobi sent me.  

412386AF-364F-45F7-830E-5FA4F6E5E437.jpeg

Thanks Jamis, that's good to know, and I appreciate your suggestion re the fuse.

Turns out it is the Charger Receptacle which has failed. The power wire to the blue connector is open (the live side of the blue connector reads 52.4volts). I guess there must be some electronics hidden beneath the layer where the wires attach to the back of the receptacle. Not much chance of getting under there to fix anything.

I ended up contacting Ryobi and they have ordered a receptacle for me, but it is on back-order so who knows how long I will be waiting.

Hey Jim,

The fellow from the help desk emailed me a Ryobi Riding Mower Repair pdf which is a 55 page electrical component

troubleshooting guide for the mower. Is that what you were referring to? Funnily enough the problem I found was not

in their document.

Yes the batteries were fully charged before the receptacle failure.

I heated up the black layer and was able to remove it from the receptacle so will see if I can fix the board once I get it removed. It is held in place with tamper-resistant screws of all things, so I had to buy a special tool.

Just found this forum as I have a ryobi 54” ztr mower and would like to add some lights to it.  Is there an electrical diagram to be had?  I’ve thought about just connecting to one of the 4 batteries, but would like to understand the overall system a little first.  I wonder what he existing LED lights are connected to.  I’ve not started disassembling, was hoping for a document.  How do you get a Repair pdf?

thanks, Kurt

The repair sheet .pdf is downloadable from the Ryobi web site page for your model.  it isn't really detailed enough for what you want though, just exploded parts diagrams and part numbers.  My neighbor tapped into his RM480ex system by buying the connectors for the main battery connectors off the internet and then using the "48" volt current to power things like a high mount LED headlight and other accessories.  He added a module to step the 48 volts down to 12 volts.  This way no modification to the Ryobi system and it can all be easily removed.  His mower will soon be out of warranty, so he's not concerned.  These systems have a 12 volt controller, but it's not tappable that I know of and I don't really know what it's used for in the system.  

On 6/13/2021 at 8:55 AM, Breischaft said:

Just found this forum as I have a ryobi 54” ztr mower and would like to add some lights to it.  Is there an electrical diagram to be had?  I’ve thought about just connecting to one of the 4 batteries, but would like to understand the overall system a little first.  I wonder what he existing LED lights are connected to.  I’ve not started disassembling, was hoping for a document.  How do you get a Repair pdf?

thanks, Kurt

Thanks to John31224, I have just learned that the headlights on the RM480s are 12 volt powered, so the 48 volt DC to 12 volt DC converter on the mower is what is used for driving the headlights, backup beeper and the USB port.  Yes, the USB port delivers 5 volts, but it is driven by 12 volts.  I would expect the ZT540 to be set up the same way.  Disconnect one of the headlights at the connector by the mount and measure the voltage with a digital meter with the mower switched on and the headlight switch depressed. 

Edited by jamis
added credit

Next question:  intermittently, I cannot get the mower to move.   I push the ztr levers forward, no motion and it beeps.  ‘Feels like’ an interlock is not being met.  I pulled the seat switch and clamped it, thought that was it.  Next time, it happened when went over a rough part of yard.  Pushed it around and finally got going again but unsure why.  Seat occupied, brake off, levers in, ???

Ideas?

1. When it won't move forward, will it move in reverse?

2. Problem is with both levers?

3. What happens if the levers are moved out and back in? Required to reset the system after turning the key to on.

4. Any difference in high or low speed settings?

5. Beeping is most likely due to the seat safety switch not being triggered by the operator's weight.  

5. Call the Ryobi support number on the label under the seat and have all of the other numbers available for the support person.

Does not move in either direction with either lever.  Hi/low no matter.  Seat switch physically removed from seat and clamped, so it’s not it (unless there’s an intermittent open somewhere)

tell me the system reset detail please?  At one point, we were convinced that removing and reinserting the key was the ticket, but no.  Is there a combination lock between the levers and the key with a sequence?

ryobi support has been long hold and work hasn’t been that flexible - plus mower at home

appreciate your knowledge

According to the manual, turn the key off, open the levers, turn the key on, and close the levers in neutral position.  The beeping gives me pause.  Not sure what you mean by clamped off, but I wonder if the switch has become defective somehow.  My neighbor had issue with his as it kept popping out of the latched position. I have the seat switch test procedure on my PC and I'll look it up later. I wonder if the parking brake switch is amuck and causing the problem.

Clamped means I first thought the seat switch was not being made.  So I removed it from the seat and clamped it in the depressed position.  Doesn’t eliminate if it’s defective completely, but…

Another thought I have is that it may need to be opened and then closed again to reset whatever circuit logic that is kicking in

The 12 beeps is confounding since it's not documented in the manual.  If it beeps exactly 12 times each time, that's a real question for Ryobi to address.  The testing procedure listed in the troubleshooting manual should be the same for the ZTs.  

Called and talked to them.  Of course, mower not doing this at time, but knowledgeable service.  

Told me immediately that 12 meant bad connection to main drive and that’s where I should look.  If it continues and the wires are secure, they can send another drive for me to swap.  

I asked and he said he could send me the troubleshooting guide, which I got.  PM me if you’d like.  Agree with your comment: 12 beeps not on the list.  

Again super thanks to you, Jim.  I’d have never even counted the beeps before you asking about it. 

Will update here as things progress. 

If both levers are not working, I'm wondering if it's the drive as there are two, one for each rear wheel?  I wonder if it's something feeding both controllers?  Maybe the troubleshooting manual will offer a process to check the power feed to the control lever mechanisms? Just SWAGing here.

I was clued into a YouTube video by member John31224 that covers a modification to the RM480 display module that allows the meter to switch through the three modes of display, Volts, Percentage of Charge, and Hours Run.  The video is found by googling "Ryobi 480e riding mower battery indicator mod".  It is a simple and inexpensive addition and makes operating the mower more informative.  It adds a momentary push button to the console. Mine mounted in the seventh bolt hole between the key switch and the meter.  The video shows the three displays. 

20210624_170017.jpg