Ryobi battery riding lawn mower

KnarlyCarl

11 hours ago, jamis said:

Early on, the conventional wisdom was that the SLA/AGM batteries needed to be conditioned prior to regular use. Subsequently, it was determined that the Ryobi system didn't allow the batteries to be discharged more than 30% Depth Of Discharge and therefore conditioning was not needed since the DOD was so small. Conditioning is needed if the batteries are routinely discharged beyond 50% or so. The battery manufacturer (Leoch) also verified this.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the update

• 2 weeks later...

First, I want to thank Jamis for all his input, both here and at the Home Depot thread.  I wanted to ask:  Would mowing with temps in the low 50s cut the battery run time significantly?  I am on 4 acres in nrn MD, ~ 3.2-3.5 is mowable.  I was able to mow 2 acres just now for an hour in 50-degree weather and then the blades shut off.  Afterwards, I tested the battery pack back at the shed at 48.6 volts.  BTW:  The meter was useless; it jumped from 70% to 100% after a brief rest for me to check my work laptop, and I knew that reading wasn't right... another brief break threw off the meter even more... with the blades finally shutting off at 50% but 2 bars.  Anyways, I tested and got 48.6 volts.  It's typically ~ in the low 50s when I start.... next time I'll write down the exact #.  If this is normal for the battery I'll live with it... really not looking forward to pulling the battery tray.

OK, follow up... maybe I'm just paranoid.  Appreciate any thoughts on what I saw in my post yesterday and now today.  Again, maybe this is just the normal of dealing with battery-powered mowers.

Everything identical to yesterday - 51° outside, deck at 3.5":, blade speed set to low, normal forward speed

At start:

100% BLM

53.8V before key to on

53.6V when I turned on the lights

50.7V when I turned on blades on low

Mowed for 50 minutes straight and finished; grass was not high or thick, unlike what I mowed yesterday.

After mowing:

55% BLM

48.6V with blades still spinning

50.7V after blades off and parked

Again, if this is normal, I'll just continue to read and learn from you all.

Thank you!

On 9/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, USMC_Mustang said:

Hey, All:

Commenting on several points presented in related posts:

1. I see the same 70% charge on my Ryobi mower if leaving it on the charger for more than 48 hours. If simply charged overnight, it displays 100%. 

2. Regardless of what the display indicates (70% or 100%), I seldom get more than 45 minutes of run-time from it. Sometimes I might get an hour from a "100%" charge, depending on how tall the grass is. 

3. Regarding replacement batteries, I did try replacing the OEM batteries with LiFePO4. A four-pack of those would work great and provide extended run-time, but the mower's controller won't let the machine start with voltage exceeding 52.5V. The LFP battery pack reaches 54.5 after a full charge, but that exceeds the controller specifications and it won't turn on. Similarly, the controller is tuned to turn off the blades at 48v and allow enough remaining power to get the mower back to the barn. However with LFP batteries the controller shuts down the blades AND the drive motors simultaneously. 

4. I get the 'wheel-squeak' that someone posted in a different thread; first from the left-rear (a few months ago) and now from both. I'm not aware of any way to grease or diagnose those drive motors, but I suspect some fault or wear condition is contributing to the very low runtime. 

Thanks!

Hi. How are you resolved the LifePo4 battery  issue? 

Thanks 

bought my RM480e - Roobi Riding Lawnmower in 2017 & this year I have to charge my mower between cuts. It has 52 hours on the meter. It runs less than an hour now.

So, it is time to change out the batteries. I found a YouTube how to change the batteries. I wish there was more information out there.

The cost of 4 batteries were $1023. Last year the cost of my battery on the push mower- EGO was $265. I am thinking this is not worth the cost any longer.

Historically, the first few mows after winter storage, the batteries do not perform up to normal. Every spring, after the four month storage period, the first few mows are suboptimal. Then the batteries get used to being deeper discharged and things return to normal. This spring, after 370 charges, the batteries seem to be taking a bit longer to "wake up". However, the voltage drop per mow is about the same. I am also measuring that the winter storage charges are coming more often, but less wattage per charge. I suspect this is due to aging, but I don't think they are at the point of replacement yet. Only a load test would confirm and I'm not that concerned yet. I've been mowing all April in 50 degree temps., as have been the four other owners on my street, with no issues. The mowers range from brand new to four years old.

14 hours ago, jgilliam1955 said:

bought my RM480e - Roobi Riding Lawnmower in 2017 & this year I have to charge my mower between cuts. It has 52 hours on the meter. It runs less than an hour now.

So, it is time to change out the batteries. I found a YouTube how to change the batteries. I wish there was more information out there.

The cost of 4 batteries were $1023. Last year the cost of my battery on the push mower- EGO was $265. I am thinking this is not worth the cost any longer.

You may not have to replace all of them. The owners manual shows how to remove the batteries. One weak cell can bring the system down. The batteries should be good for 1,500-1,700 charge cycles. A simple load test of each will show you what is going on. I took mine to a local battery shop for testing. I had one go bad at 11 months and a new battery replaced it. mower has been flawless for almost 45 months now. 370 charges, 160 hrs. of use. Ego 56 volt lithium packs are rated by Ego for 1,000 charges. This month, the cost of operation vs. a comparable ICE mower with pay for new batteries in my RM480e. The current cost of 87E10 gas makes my mower 16x less expensive to operate than an ICE mower. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, jamis said:

You may not have to replace all of them. The owners manual shows how to remove the batteries. One weak cell can bring the system down. The batteries should be good for 1,500-1,700 charge cycles. A simple load test of each will show you what is going on. I took mine to a local battery shop for testing. I had one go bad at 11 months and a new battery replaced it. mower has been flawless for almost 45 months now. 370 charges, 160 hrs. of use. Ego 56 volt lithium packs are rated by Ego for 1,000 charges. This month, the cost of operation vs. a comparable ICE mower with pay for new batteries in my RM480e. The current cost of 87E10 gas makes my mower 16x less expensive to operate than an ICE mower. 

Thanks for the information.

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to assist him with battery testing on his RM480ex. His mower is a couple of months newer than mine, but he uses his year round for snow plowing in the winter and mows more than twice what I do. His run times had fallen this spring to where he could only mow for about a half hour instead of two and a half.  He had purchased a 100 amp. load tester rather than taking the batteries to a shop. We determined that one of the four batteries would not hold a charge for ten seconds under load and it took longer to charge fully than the others.  He is going to order a replacement battery and see what happens. I had the same issue at 11 months and eventually the battery failed to where the charger would not even begin charging due to too low a voltage.  The replacement battery fixed the problem for me. My mower is now 45 mos. old and my collected data is showing the battery performance is the same as when it was new after 330 charges. 

Hopefully we’ve turned the corner up here in Wisconsin regarding our cold, wet spring as warmer weather is forecast for the next few days at least.  

Starting on my 4th spring/summer with the 480ex, original batteries.  It was plugged in all winter in a detached, unheated shed as has been the previous years.   I unplugged yesterday and noticed the meter indicated my batteries at 70% charged.  I mowed the backyard, relatively flat and approximately 10,000 square feet.  Batteries percentage dropped to 40% after about 1 hour so I decided to park it, plug back in and see what happens today.  Update:  unplugged and meter showed 100% charge, however I was able to mow for 45 minutes when all of a sudden my blades stopped spinning, I looked down at the meter and it showed 30% charge remaining.  Hopefully I can finish up tomorrow on the charge it’s getting now and overnight.  It’s looking more and more like I either have one or more suspect batteries on the way out.

Like Jim previously mentioned regarding battery time the first few times you mow definitely is what has happened to me over the course of the past 3 years.  It’s almost as if the batteries need to “re-learn” how to discharge and charge back up.  Mine usually take 3 or 4 cycles to figure it out.  However, last year I did notice my use time from 100% to 30% charge is now about 1 - 1.5 hours instead of 2+ hours.  We’ll see how it goes this spring.  New batteries might be in the picture.

Might want to think about drain & refill the transaxle if you do pull the batteries, even though Ryobi dropped the 100 hour requirement. Ryobi stated to me that you can use full synthetic gear lube in the unit.

Drained and refilled end of last summer.  I ordered 4 new Mighty Max 12v, 100ah batteries today from HD.  Supposed to be here within the week.  Not  cheap!

I’m wondering if the really cold temps day after day up here through the winter have taken a toll on the batteries.  It can be well below zero day after day up here and that surely has to factor in.  It’ll  be a pain but maybe from here on out I might just remove the batteries when done mowing in the fall and put them on a charger/maintainer inside where it’s heated.  

I stopped in to my local Home Depot and ordered 4 Mighty Max 12v 100ah internal thread batteries.  I did the ordering at the customer service desk.  I’m retired military so tried to use the 10% offer but the customer service person told me the batteries aren’t eligible for the discount.  Total came to $759 and change.  I could have just ordered online but I’d like to check them over at the store before I accept them.  I figure if they were to get banged up delivered to my home HD might just make me deal with the shipper instead of them.  I was told delivery is between 13-18 May but I got a text earlier today they are supposed to be delivered to HD this Thursday 12th.  

As mentioned in my earlier post I’m in Wisconsin and store the mower plugged in all winter in an unheated, uninsulated shed.  It can and does stay well below 0 for days on end with nights getting to -20 and -30. I’ve been pretty satisfied with the rider.  It does a good job and I do have a decent size septic mound that I cut so I know it takes more juice going up and down the mound.  I was hoping for one more year from these original batteries but looks like they are just not taking a full charge anymore.  When I mow it usually takes about 1.5 hours start to finish, just under 1 acre, however I’m only 40-45 minutes from 100% to 30% then blade disengagement and I have to drive back to the shed and plug in again.  Once I get the new batteries installed and charged up I’ll post an update.

23 hours ago, Eric S said:

Drained and refilled end of last summer.  I ordered 4 new Mighty Max 12v, 100ah batteries today from HD.  Supposed to be here within the week.  Not  cheap!

I’m wondering if the really cold temps day after day up here through the winter have taken a toll on the batteries.  It can be well below zero day after day up here and that surely has to factor in.  It’ll  be a pain but maybe from here on out I might just remove the batteries when done mowing in the fall and put them on a charger/maintainer inside where it’s heated.  

Please let us know how the MM batteries work. They look like they have the same characteristics as the Leoch LPC12s. I have read of Canadian users using battery blankets to keep the pack warm in ubercold storage temps. Apparently, they make bigger blankets in the Great White North to keep engines comfortable. 

Hi, I signed up here just to participate in this thread.

I purchased a 75Ah ZT-480e in May 2019.  So it has 3 summers of service, 55hrs on the meter.  Used May-Oct to mow 10,000-15,000 ft as well as leaf cleanup in the fall. 

First season: 45-60 minutes of mowing left 60-70% charge remaining when finished.  "70% battery issue" did appear occasionally during this first season. 

Second summer: similar performance but only 25-40% remaining when finished.  "70% battery issue" becomes regular occurrence. 

Third summer: sharply reduced run time, could barely compete a full mow on one charge early in season, two charges required by Fall.  "70% battery issue" is standard operating procedure, except when showing only 40%.  Battery gauge becomes random and completely unreliable.

Now: mower only runs for 12-20 minutes although I've only had it out a few times for spring cleanup.  Any kind of heavy load (consuming a modest pile of leaves, driving full-speed, reversing quickly) kills it fast. 

I've read this entire thread and others, well-aware of Jamis' experience replacing a battery early on.  Have never pulled and load tested mine.  Wondering if it makes any sense to do that or if at this point just better off replacing all 4?

Also wondering about substitutes for the LPC battery.  Is there any reason not to use 100 Ah or even 110 Ah batteries to replace my 75s?  Mighty Max looks to be priced slightly more reasonably.

Data point: there are two reviews of the battery Eric S bought (HD# 1004165704) that mention using the battery in Ryobi mowers.  There are also two reviews of the 110 Ah version (1004178597) that mention same.

Terribly disappointed in this mower (due to battery life) but at this point I guess it is what it is.  Looking forward to more replacement reports.