Toolbox On The International Space Station

Conductor562

6 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

I hate Robogrips and his peddling of them really killed my respect for Bob Vila ?

Really? THATS what killed him for you???? His televised death for me was on This Old House!!! I remember watching it with my Dad and he used to call him a hack way back then!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Really? THATS what killed him for you???? His televised death for me was on This Old House!!! I remember watching it with my Dad and he used to call him a hack way back then!!!

Funny.....

now Norm was and still is THE MAN !!!!! Basically The Godfather of home improvement.

(not saying that there aren't people better, but when he ruled the airwaves, it was "game on")

Funny.....

now Norm was and still is THE MAN !!!!! Basically The Godfather of home improvement.

(not saying that there aren't people better, but when he ruled the airwaves, it was "game on")

Norm is still one of my favorites to watch.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 0:58 AM, BMack37 said:

Is it the same as the military, has to be USA made? I assume so...but were robogrips made in the USA back when those went up? Wait, do they still make those?

That requirement comes from the Berry Amendment . I'm no attorney, but as I understand it, there are exceptions. For example, when the domestically produced item is 25% more expensive than a foreign item of identical specifications or not available at all. I assume that if the specs called for an "auto adjusting plier" there would be very limited domestic options. There are also instances where a procurement officer, quartermaster, etc, can waive the requirement. 

Again, I don't pretend to have an in depth knowledge of how it works, but it certainly seems logical that something as shitty as Robogrips could weasel their way into the mix. 

In truth, laws like the Berry Amendment and the related Buy American Act are the only reason we have a tool manufacturing base left in America at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool post Conductor, some nice stuff in there but Robogrips and Ideal wire strippers? Sure seems like the ISS would have higher end stuff or reproduce it out of Titanium. Like Jeffmcmillan said, at 10,000/$lb there sure seems like a lot of extra weight there.

Yeah, thank god for the Berry Amendment/Buy American Act. No legislative act is 100% positive but in my opinion it does more good than harm.