Metal Cutting Bandsaw: Help Me Decide

Conductor562

I have both the chop saw and circular saw but was referring to the chop saw.

There is no comparison between an abrasive wheel saw and one of these. I have had several abrasive saws.  The problem with the abrasive wheel saw is the blade bends and then you get a crooked cut. 

The fein saw runs at slower speed and cuts straight. You can even take off a bladed width.

When you finish the cut you can put your hand on it and its not warm.

The circular saw is amazing and defies logic. I have cut through plate 2" thick with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

@Bremon I get the logic, but probably 90% of the cuts I'd make with a potraband are cuts I'd be better off making with a stationary saw. Not to mention that this unit is roughly the same price as the Fuel saw kit price and even if I went the bare tool route, I'd still have more in it by the time I bought the stand. I'd end up paying more money for portability I didn't need and have less capacity to boot.

@CATERPILLAR lube is a must, but to get an auto unit you have to be up in the $1000 range. I'll just have do it manually.

No I mean try to fab one for the saw 

I have both the chop saw and circular saw but was referring to the chop saw.

There is no comparison between an abrasive wheel saw and one of these. I have had several abrasive saws.  The problem with the abrasive wheel saw is the blade bends and then you get a crooked cut. 

The fein saw runs at slower speed and cuts straight. You can even take off a bladed width.

When you finish the cut you can put your hand on it and its not warm.

The circular saw is amazing and defies logic. I have cut through plate 2" thick with it.

Cold cut saw? Skilsaw has one out too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I am also amazed how well the circular saw works.

Defies logic to see it work.  You would think it would grab. But its just like cutting wood. Almost easier.

So cool.

I experimented with Diablo metal cutting blade on my saw, it went well, but i would much rather a dedicated metal saw, but really, because I know how much safer a bandsaw is, would rather go that route.

It threw some sparks, guess that's expected

Anyways, here's the experiment

Since we bought a dw872 14" cold cut chop saw about 8 years ago the band saw collects dust in the corner.  Depending on your needs I would at least take a look at one.  It gives a much faster cleaner cut than a band saw.  Cut capacity is one area the band saw might beat it but I would say anything up to 4" material isn't a problem.  But you can look up the exact specs.  The other thing is blades are pretty spendy like $100 a blade but in our shop where they're used pretty heavily we still only go through a couple a year. We also use milwaukee steel circular saws regularly and its truly amazing how both these saws cut through steel with such ease.  One difference between your fuel and circ saw that's designed for steel is that it has a much better guard that helps with the shrapnel. 

Now if dewalt would just come out with a flexvolt in either variation, preferably a 8" steel circ saw though.

• Like 1

My only regret is I wished I had bought the smaller circular saw.

They also have a 7 1/4" version and I bought the 9".  Its a big saw and I dont think I will ever used the capacity. I would prefer something lighter.

Its nice to cut steel plate with it and saves messing with torch.

One of the things on my to-do list is turning it onto a track saw.

• Like 1

I was doing metal work long before I cut a piece of wood. I was fortunate enough to have a Dad that was quite a craftsman and learned how to weld by the age of 10 using a stick welder.  Later progressed to MIG and then TIG after taking a job at a local potato chip plant.

I still have MIG but rarely use it now.  The TIG is the hot setup for an attached shop as its smoke/spark free for the most part. But also has the steepest learning curve and highest cost.

On 2/13/2017 at 8:42 AM, rrmccabe said:

I have a Jet that I bought about 6 years ago and it does a great job. However I bought a Fein metal cutting saw a few months ago and the band-saw has not been plugged in since. Far superior cut on the Fein.

I plan to keep the band-saw in the corner for a while in case I figure out something I cant cut on the Fein as far as capacity but I might end up getting rid of it.

Is the the saw your talking about or something else? https://feintools-online.com/mccs14-metal-cutting-chop-saw-14-120v.html