New Drill

gmm213

I just purchased an 18v hammer drill/light combo off of ebay. Model# 0824-24. First Milwaukee power tool I've owned. I have not yet received it but I am very excited. The only downside is one of the three batteries is about shot and the other two are fair according to the seller. I was wondering which batteries are used for this? Also anyones thoughts on this drill. It looks in very good shape and comes with everything. I purchased it for $72. It looks like it still goes for around $300 just for the drill where it can be found. Please tell me I didnt just get ripped off. Ive been wanting a cordless drill for years and just never wanted to buy a cheap one.

That's a V18 series drill which was the predecessor to the current M series. They were good drills. Good specs, metal gears, etc. but they were Milwaukee's initial Lithium-Ion line and were plagued by some battery issues early in their release. I believe they got the issues lined out, but negative publicity killed their sales. The battery looks like this:

725.jpg

The Cheapest price on a new battery I see is $105 from Toolbarn HERE , but you could likely shop around and find them cheaper. If the batteries are good enough to provide a usable run time then you got a pretty fair deal. The cool thing about these drill is that the battery is reversible. You can slide it on from the front or the back if you need to. There are outfits that rebuild batteries and that would probably be your cheapest option. Some people don't like the idea of rebuilding batteries, but in your case that may be worth a look. The batteries may be fine. Bottom line is that it's a nice drill and in a worst case scenario you need to purchase or rebuild a battery.

I started looking around and cant find anyone to rebuild the Lithium Ions but from what I read these will accept NiCd batteries. I read that a lot of people prefer the NiCd with these particular drills. Anyone know where to get these or know of someone that will rebuild Lithium Ion? I guess there's circuitry that makes the Ions hard to work on.  I found a battery at voltman batteries for $65.80 new but there generic.

Like your drill, look on eBay. I buy and sell a lot of power tools there and have found some excellent deals on that site. I have never owned the V18 line, I do own the M18 Fuel Impact as well as the sawzall and circular saw (M18) as well as a Milwaukee Router and several M12 tools. Milwaukee is a great brand with solid tools and the metal gearing is great (V18 too). Conductor562 said to try a rebuild and I agree, you've got two good ones and a bad battery. Send the battery out on line (just Google battery rebuilds) there are some great companies out there and it is normally half the price of buying new. There are also several stores on eBay that sell rebuilt batteries for a bit less than the new ones. If your a pro nicads and NiMH batteries may work out but if you a serious diy type like me, I would stick with lithiums because no memory effect and hardly any storage discharge. Also, if your not a pro using these tools all the time, I would not buy too many more batteries, you'd be surprised how much two batteries will do for you especially when you can charge one while us

Wow I actually am long winded! Cut myself off there! So in short, if you are not doing this fully time or you only have the one tool three batteries is MORE than enough!!!! Spend money on more tools!!!! That V18 Impact is supposed to be a really good impactor and a circular saw is ALWAYS a good idea!

Ive googled Lithium Ion battery rebuild but no company i can find will rebuild them. Ive seen people rebuilding them but the circutry throws in complications. I know a little about electronics but not enough to mess with $100 battery in a $300 drill. I do plan on expanding on the v18 tools as i dont have any cordless

Id prefer to find someone to rebuild the ion lithium if I could. Ive googled trying to find someone to rebuild but noone does. If not Ill probably look on ebay. I think Im ganna take apart  the fried battery and see if its the cells or the board. If its the cells i can probably replace them from what ive read. its the boards that screw you. If its that looks like im going to either wait till all three are kicked and buy new ones or maybe switch to nicd a lil cheaper but I guess the Li Ion run longer.

Being the circuit board possibility do the boards come out of the case?  Could these be sent to a cicutry repair shop to be fixed?

Is the a grinder that accepts these batteries? Either the NiCd or Li Ion v18 style

Yup. LI is the way to go. The reasoning is you can charge them, leave the charger attached or store them for a long Tim because of no memory effect. NiCads have memory, for instance my mag light battery goes bad every year because if I don't use it it regularly the battery keeps that memory subsequently causing shorter and shorter run times. NiCads are good in extreme cold however. NiMH batteries generally have less of a memory problem but again, if you store your batteries for long times between uses, LI is the way to go. Also, I have used my lithiums in freezing temps in Maine working on a farm outside and they worked fine. They make rebuild kits that they sell on line but if you've got two good batteries, I would find someone to ship it to for a rebuild!

As far as the grinder, I don't know. I would check Milwaukees site for the V19 lime. Conductor562 also spoke on the rebuilds quality for LI and I agree too. I know the NiCad and NiMH rebuilds are good. I would look at the reviews before dumping fifty bucks. I do know there is an online store on eBay that does the rebuilds for Makita BL1830 and the reviews have been pretty positive. I know of a rebuild place in southern Maine but to be honest, I sent them a Panasonic NiMH battery back year or so ago, and followed up for six weeks and they never sent me the battery. Not a happy camper.

No clue on the circuit boards. When my batteries go I trash them and buy new. Never bothered to crack one open.

I've never seen a V18 series grinder. I believe they made them in V28 though. I can't swear they didn't make a V18, but I don't remember them.

After a little research I have confirmed that they made a V28 grinder, but I can find no mention of a V18. They did make an impact wrench, Sawzall, Impact Driver, Circular Saw, Metal Cutting Circular Saw, and A 7/8" SDS Rotary Hammer. They had a job site radio and it's also noteworthy that the current model vacuum accepts these style batteries as well. Sorry, no grinder :( 

Yeah and the M18 Radio takes those batteries too. No charge though, play only.

I've got the M18 radio. It looks great, sounds great, but the AM/FM reception sucks. It doesn't bother me as I use it with my iPod almost exclusively, but if I used it for FM I'd surely be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Ain't that the truth! My wife and I walked by a Prius at Lowes today and I said "wanna bet Chuck Norris doesn't drive one of those"? My wife laughed. Which got me to think. Two years ago, my brother and I went to a local business in Maine to help wire up a chicken coup. I had my !Milwaukee tools. We pulled up to the bakery (the business) and got of out of his Prius. People were looking. I said "dude...why'd you get a Prius? You know what we look like"? Hahahahahaha. I told him next time, were taking my Ram. The mileage might not be nearly as good, but I got enough guys checking me out!

• Like 1

Yeah. Rear hind quarters ugly! That is the politically correct way of saying a derogatory statement! Man, I've got all sorts of those!!! I love my brother and he is obviously smarter than me when it comes to fuel consumption but really ?!? A Prius ?!? But hey, I'm sure he and his wife were like "hey let's buy a farm and a Prius. That dumb a#$ brother of your has a truck!"

• Like 1