Florida and Texas

ChrisK

Hey guys, to our members recovering inTexas and the south west and to Florida for what is coming, I pray you all are well and be careful out there! I hope this blows into nothing and relief finds get moved over to Texas asap but seriously, thoughts and prayers for you all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I'm charged up and ready, got the bluetooth speakers and battery backups. Milwaukee lanterns and bt speaker can also charge my phone. I also have some regular batteries that I can rig up to charge my phone if necessary. The fan is going to be my best friend.

QAy6Z3o.jpg

BzrvZUi.jpg

yo2gRQE.jpg

LRr6D4I.jpg

I was just thinking about how much better prepared serious tool owners are than average people.  The area I live in will likely be hit but probably not as hard as further south.  Still, I have cordless fans to create some air flow, and a slew of lights and phone charging options.  Left the USB charger at work, but I have 2 Bluetooth speakers and 3 ToughSystem radios to keep the phone charged.

Anyway, I'm about to head out to refill my two 5-gallon water bottles, and may pick up a couple more Ridgid batteries for the fans.  Depending on reports I may acquire a box or two of MREs this weekend as well.  Like I said, it shouldn't be too bad here on the Georgia/Alabama border, but you never know...

Here's to hoping that Irma is much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I was just thinking about how much better prepared serious tool owners are than average people.  The area I live in will likely be hit but probably not as hard as further south.  Still, I have cordless fans to create some air flow, and a slew of lights and phone charging options.  Left the USB charger at work, but I have 2 Bluetooth speakers and 3 ToughSystem radios to keep the phone charged.

Anyway, I'm about to head out to refill my two 5-gallon water bottles, and may pick up a couple more Ridgid batteries for the fans.  Depending on reports I may acquire a box or two of MREs this weekend as well.  Like I said, it shouldn't be too bad here on the Georgia/Alabama border, but you never know...

Here's to hoping that Irma is much ado about nothing.

I went into HD twice this week and everyone was buying up all the Ryobi and Ridgid drills and impact drivers along with their plywood. They also bought all the fans, I did want to get a second Milwaukee fan. All I needed was some plywood to prepare the house but I didn't board up, even though it's projected to hit Tampa directly, I don't think it was necessary. Honestly, the only reason I went to HD was to look for some penny deals and the Milwaukee fan.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I went into HD twice this week and everyone was buying up all the Ryobi and Ridgid drills and impact drivers along with their plywood. They also bought all the fans, I did want to get a second Milwaukee fan. All I needed was some plywood to prepare the house but I didn't board up, even though it's projected to hit Tampa directly, I don't think it was necessary. Honestly, the only reason I went to HD was to look for some penny deals and the Milwaukee fan.

Ends up my brother lives in Spring Hill Brian. He was pretty laid back about the storm too, though he didn't jam over to HD 😕

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Ends up my brother lives in Spring Hill Brian. He was pretty laid back about the storm too, though he didn't jam over to HD 😕

I was just in Spring Hill on Tuesday, that's where I found one of those penny pouches. They had a lot of stuff at that time but it was still busier than usual, especially during the middle of the day. It's about an hour and a few minutes North of Tampa.

Keep in mind that most people in Florida are used to our Summer storms and the hurricanes/tropical storms/tropical depressions...so we buy lights and generally have some canned goods from the last storm prep. I have a LOT of lights, I just posted the Milwaukee lights but I have emergency lights and a ton of flash lights. I purchased the Milwaukee fan partly because it would be nice when working outside but mostly because of storms.

Most people don't realize in Florida, we get several non-named day-storms a Summer that have 5+ inches of rain and gusts over 80mph...that's just normal. On those days, I still go to work, school is still in session...three hours without power is not unlikely. Non-named storm last year we had catfish swimming on sidewalks. We're pretty much all prepared more than people seem to think, it just comes with living here. Now 80+mph gusts are not sustained winds and sadly we're going to be on the bad side of the storm (Tornados) but don't worry too much, our homes are built stronger and our roofs are tied down...they check the tie-downs once every 5 years or so with professional inspections. It's not going to be fun but outside of the coastal places, it shouldn't be too bad. I like being home during storms because I can help neighbors or help my home if something starts to break. If I leave then I'm still going to have to clean up the mess and I lose the opportunity to move valuables if a room is breached.

• Like 3

I've been watching Irma coverage since waking up at 0500 this morning (I slept in, usually wake up no later than 0330 on days off).  Picked up a few more Ridgid batteries, made sure everything is charged, and have adequate food and water for me and the dog just in case.  If the power goes out, my neighbors won't know how I'll still have light, radio, and fans.  Speaking of which:

12 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I hear everyone talking about getting fans. What are they used for in a hurricane situation?

I'm not a hardcore hurricane expert (never been in the center of one, closest thing was TS Lee in 2011), but I own a house in Louisiana and have lived in the Deep South for the past nine years.  I think the reason fans are so talked about is the same reason I've been talking about them: they circulate air that is otherwise humid and maybe stagnant (if any water damage has occurred).  I'm just looking forward to being relatively comfortable, watching some more TIA videos on the phone (streamed through a radio), and having plenty of light.  That is, if the power even goes out. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, Jronman said:

I hear everyone talking about getting fans. What are they used for in a hurricane situation?

Power goes out and it's hot AF. Just got power back after about 42 hours, it sucked.

Only damage were some tree branches, some screen sections from the pool enclosure and a section of fence(that needed a new post anyway).