The Big Move

firefighter4187

I have the jobmax and the batt just die on me , just use 3 times :-( so i got the bosch 12v oscilating tool cose i've ordered there 12v metal shear and Milwaukee dont have one ! But the tool work realy well

Surprisingly the Ridgid 12v Impact did very well, The screws were some special 3in with a square head and special threads, I was driving them through 1 1/4 composite decking into 2x6's, On a fully charged battery I got 65 screws give or take....now heres some live and late breaking footage..............

http://youtu.be/gG3s17_-Kns

Those "special square drive screws" have quite a history and had it not been for Henry Ford, you would likely never have heard of the phillips screw. They are called Robertson screws after the inventor and while they are still referred to as such in their native Canada, most US manufacturers refer to them as "square recess" to get around trademark laws. In the early days of production assembly, Henry Ford fell in love with the Robertson screws and at one time Model T's used over 300 of them. As time went on he pressured Robertson to license him the right to produce his own Roberson screws in his ever going quest to cut out the middle man (google and read up on "Fordlandia" for a fine example of how this philosophy backfired). Robertson had already went bankrupt once and spent a fortune buying back the rights to his own invention, so he refused to license Ford to manufacture the screws. This pissed Ford off and citing "unreliable supply" he dropped Robertson, adopted the Phillips head screw, and the rest is history. Phillips screws were invented by a man name Phillips who never manufactured his own screws. He simply licensed others to make the design he patented and lived off the license fees. Robertson however, manufactured his own and knew there was far more money in retailing them. In other words, Phillips wanted people to make his screws while Robertson wanted people to buy his. Robertson's are superior to phillips in every possible way. They are popular with woodworkers for they're torque tolerance and their ability to lock on to the driver, but aside from that, they are largely ignored outside of Canada. It's just on of a long list of superior inventions shelved for shitty reasons. 

That being said, Canadiens will tell you that Robertson drives and "square recess" are different. They are technically right. Robertsons have a slightly different taper that they will tell you is what allows them to lock on to the driver. That part is kinda iffy. The taper was to make them easier to cold forge with turn of the century technology and while it does aid in the locking ability (only slightly) that wasn't the reason for it at all. 

• Like 1

Yea, vertical integration never quite worked out like Henry Ford wanted it to. It's pretty ironic now how little of the car is made by the actual car company now they just make the body panels, engine, and transmission for the most part.

• Like 1

Yea, vertical integration never quite worked out like Henry Ford want it to. It's pretty ironic now how little of the car is made by the actual car company now they just make the body panels, engine, and transmission for the most part.

Very true DR99. If you aren't familiar with Fordlandia, read up on it. It was an attempt to establish a huge rubber farming community in South America. He tried to Americanize a bunch of villagers and it blew up in his face and cost him millions.  

I was driving 6 4 in. GRK R4's (no. 10) (GRK makes the best fastener, IMO) through a 2 x 4 into a 4 x 4 with my M12 and the overload protection kicked on twice for two of the screws. There are some jobs that a 18v are better for, but the M12 does most stuff a DYI would need it for.