Saw Mill

firefighter4187

On friday I went to my neighbor's and clients fathers friends saw mill, he lets us take what ever wood we want after saw some logs, we were cutting cedar and cypress on a quarter in scale, i will post a video soon, I am also going to start a bench project after my side table is done,first thing I have to do is buy the Milwaukee router!

Its all rough cut, its not a big production like a lot of people think, it basically is a trailer with a huge band saw and some hydraulic lifts in the middle of a corn field.haha

Sounds like a potable sawmill. They used to be pretty popular around here.

When I was a kid everyone knew someone who had one. If you wanted to build a barn or a hen house or something, most people went out on their property, cut the logs, drug them home with a tractor, then had someone with a portable mill come in and cut it up for lumber. It was a lot easier to do that than try to haul the timber off to a big mill. Living out in the country everyone kinda helped everybody. My grandpa and his neighbor were always cutting firewood for people. He had all the equipment and enjoyed doing it, so when someone needed trees cut they called him. Our neighbor was the guy with the biggest tractor. Most people had a tractor of some type, but a lot of them weren't really big enough to do any serious plowing. They'd call him to come and plow for them. Everybody seemed to have a task they specialized in and everybody knew somebody that knew how to do anything. Nobody ever charged anybody to do anything. You helped them because they helped you. If someone came over and helped you out, you fed them dinner and that was all the payment anyone ever expected. It's still like that around here to an extent, but not like it used to be.

My county(Flagler county) produces over 50% of the Potatoes for lays, frito lay etc, We have a lot of farm land, Bunnell, the county seat is 100 years old this year, it still only has 2 stop lights. It is like you said conductor, becoming less and less what it used to be.