Bosch GDX18V-1800 (Freak 2.0) impact driver Collet issue

Wordswastaken

Greetings! I would like to a share a problem I am having with my Bosch Impact Driver which I got a few weeks ago. After some medium load work in my new workshop (building a workbench and tool wall), the collet on my driver is refusing to retract to its full length, which I presume is because the ball bearing that holds the bit is somehow stuck. However, I can't figure out or find anywhere how is the current model designed to troubleshoot this. The older model of my tool has holes on the face of the collet, which I presume are there to fix it to the body of the tool, but the newer model lacks said screws. I would appreciate your help with any instructions on how to remove the red ring on my driver. Sorry for not including a picture, it appears to not be working at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I do not have an answer. I too have had this trouble. I purchased the Bosh GDX18V-1800 impact from Lowes. In the first one the 1/4 inch bits, constantly, would not go in, and when they did go in I had to use a vise and hammer to force them out. I returned it within 30 days for another new same make and model, Bosh 1800, as a replacement. This second one is having the same trouble with the 1/4 bits. The bits are not an off brand, they are Bosh bits and bit adapters.

This post is the only one I found referencing this problem. I have now observed some of the 1800 models have a "Nut Looking" hexagonal item directly under the red release ring. This is something neither of mine had. These newer design releases also feel different when actuating them. Bosh must have realized an issue/defect and changed the design. Shameful Bosh did not send out a notification and or a modification kit to all previous owners. That is my thoughts as long as the new design rectifies the stuck bit defect. I will return this second GDX18V-1800 and give Bosh one last chance. Good Luck with yours!

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue, the release ring is stuck and didn't go all the way up to release the hex bit, I have to force the bit out with vice clamp and use the flat screw driver to push the release ring and pull. Once it is out, I lub it with white grease, it seems to be working now.  This is not a good design, I will just use it as a impact from now on.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I contacted Bosch with the problem and did not get very far. The response from Bosch was not from one with knowledge of the retaining device design; obviously only a first level "One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy, operator / front door greeter.

I have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate team for the GDX18V-1800C. I would like to ask what happened with the GDX18V-1800C since you returned this to Lowe's.

Victoria PT/SCP1-NA.

I did not receive any additional contact, from any team.

??? How am I to know what happens to a device once it is returned to the store?

Somehow, I have the feeling there is something with the spring, which is a stiffer than the older standard collars I have experienced.  When functioning correctly, the release ring travels fully. When malfunctioning the release ring travel is not enough to allow the securing ball to move out of the way. The type of spring used is not known but, I suspect the spring coil, in general, binds and perhaps somehow, overlaps itself, which might cause limited movement of the retaining ring, preventing its full travel. Spring coils, during compression, rotate and the number of coils per distance increase . In a conical design, the coil collapses within itself, allowing more compression travel. In a straight cylindrical type the coils stack on top of each other.

I did not want to disassemble the device which might have prevented its return for refund.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Bosch GDX18V 1/2 impact driver and put a chuck in it the first time and I have never yet got the chuck released, it’s still attached to the driver and will not release. Tried a little bit of everything to get it out, still no luck. Any help out there on how to get it out. 02/10/2022 have owned the drill for a year now and haven’t got to use it yet. 

19 hours ago, Tool user said:

I have a Bosch GDX18V 1/2 impact driver and put a chuck in it the first time and I have never yet got the chuck released, it’s still attached to the driver and will not release. Tried a little bit of everything to get it out, still no luck. Any help out there on how to get it out. 02/10/2022 have owned the drill for a year now and haven’t got to use it yet. 

I had the same problem. After much pulling with some lineman pliers I got the bit loose, sold the impact and switched to Dewalt. I think that chuck does too much and is not good at either on it’s own.

• 3 months later...

I picked up one of these today to anchor a pair of quick sling wall brackets.  So I anchored 12 concrete sleeves and bolts.  It worked great but removing the socket required a pair of needle nosed pliers along with some moderate force.

There was a fair amount of grease on the socket and the shank of the tool.  I haven’t seen this before?