Makita STAFDA 2020

Jjwillac

I’m guessing some of these new LXT tools are essentially the new XGTs adapted for 18V operation. Which I kinda expected them to do. No need to steal the thunder out from under XGT even as it releases, but some LXTs like the full-size drill have been a little long on the tooth for a while, so replacements aren’t surprising.

With Makita apparently developing a 56V platform, IF Makita is even seriously developing anything in the way of a cordless job site tablesaw, I’m a little hard-pressed to believe they could be designing it on either the LXT or XGT platforms. I could be wrong...I may even hope I am. But a tablesaw just seems like the perfect product to kick off such a high-power platform. A full 10” TS that can go heavy all day is a big ask for the platforms currently on the market, which I believe is why Dewalt and Milwaukee made their cordless tablesaws 8.5”, while Metabo HPT’s 10” is a hybrid design.

I expect the belt sander is most definitely coming, but will likely just be further into the year. I also think Makita will be doling out a bunch of brushless updates to many older tools, judging by how many of them share the same handle as the cutout tool that just got updated to brushless. It’s just a simple way to upgrade a ton of tools at almost no development cost.

• Like 1