Festool machines - from the U.K. to Canada

Daniel Wheeler

I have very little knowledge of current/voltage etc so I’m looking for some advice.

There’s a chance I may be moving to Canada in the future, I currently live in the U.K. I use a transformer with my corded power tools, bringing down the standard U.K. mains voltage* from 240v to 110v. 

I believe the standard mains voltage in Canada is 110v. Am I right in thinking I could ship my 110v festool machines to Canada, buy the appropriate plug fitting and keep using them? Or is there something I’m missing elsewhere?

Go easy on me, just looking for friendly advice.

*by mains voltage I’m talking about what you would get from a plug socket in a residential property.

You definitely should be able to, I would just verify the standards will be the same for which prongs are what and also what frequency they are running (50Hz vs 60Hz). Also wouldn’t hurt to see if you can verify all this with Festool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ToolBane said:

You definitely should be able to, I would just verify the standards will be the same for which prongs are what and also what frequency they are running (50Hz vs 60Hz). Also wouldn’t hurt to see if you can verify all this with Festool.

Thank you, I’m hoping it’s the case. 

Does the frequency relate to the machine or the mains supply?

I will reach out to Festool as well and post any response I get.

The frequency will just have to do with whatever each country chooses to do. If they’re close you’re probably okay, although efficiency could be a bit lower which could lead to the tool running warmer. It could even go the opposite way and be more efficient. Kinda depends on how Festool designs their power supplies for different world markets, they may not even do anything different between these two markets in question.

You will frequently see on the power supplies that they will list 50 to 60 Hz as being okay. It’s pretty common for a lot of electrical products to function just fine at either frequency.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Daniel Wheeler Even your cordless Festool stuff should work. All you would need is the North American chargers and you would be set. Also on all your 110v tools with the removable plug you should be able to buy a North American plug. You shouldn't need adapters then. Your 220v stuff will need other solutions that others have suggested above. Festool should be able to confirm everything you need.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jronman said:

@Daniel Wheeler Even your cordless Festool stuff should work. All you would need is the North American chargers and you would be set. Also on all your 110v tools with the removable plug you should be able to buy a North American plug. You shouldn't need adapters then. Your 220v stuff will need other solutions that others have suggested above. Festool should be able to confirm everything you need.

I like this suggestion,