New Vacuum System

Marcv76

Not bad, but Starmix or another brand from CAS (Cordless Alliance System) Metabo make a cordless wet/dry vacuum that works with two 18V batteries or one single 36V battery and it has three battery slots for that purpose, I think it is corded as well or they are working on one that it is corded/cordless. They are a professional brand in vacuum sector. 

I saw these on ToolGuyd last night.  There are three sizes--6, 9, and 12 gallon--and three interchangeable heads: a single battery head designed to outperform 3.5 peak HP vacuums, a dual-battery head designed to outperform 4.5 peak HP vacuums, and a 6.5 HP AC head.  A bunch of attachments and accessories are also being launched.

I have the small M18 wet/dry vacuum as well as the DeWalt DCV580 and DCV517, Ridgid cordless hand vacuum, and the Ryobi 6 gallon cordless.  If the price is ever "right" (on clearance for 50% or more off), or if I really need something like this and the reviews are stellar, I may get one.  I like the interchangeability, but it seems that the single battery only comes with the 6 gallon, while the dual-battery comes with the larger vacuums.  The AC motor is sold separately.  Never mind, a reread of the ToolGuyd article shows that the components will be sold separately starting in March and into the summer.  I could see buying a complete vacuum with the dual-battery motor and then one or two different sized tanks and the AC head.  There may even be jobs where having multiple same-sized tanks would be worth the $79-$99 cost apiece.

Milwaukee continues to innovate and offers very strong competition for DeWalt.  I think the latter's struggle to keep up may be due to its parent company, which seems almost schizophrenic at times.  SBD pushes DeWalt as its pro brand, but meanwhile releases DeWalt-compatible Mac tools and pushes Craftsman (and to a much lesser extent Porter Cable) as being semi-pro, to the extent where some Craftsman V20 tools look very similar to their DeWalt counterparts.