Do you like colour coding in tools?

Altan

5 minutes ago, wingless said:

Many of my DeWALT SDS Max tools have bags instead of boxes.

For each of those bags I got engraved luggage tags w/ my name, phone number and tool ID. Each of those tags are a different color.

Those colored tools are cool.

That is why I would like to get DeWALT Toughsystem boxes in different colours. 

I did buy one of them from MacTools which has red side handles and trying to find one Stanley Fatmax one which has yellow side handles, but I think Stanley ones are discontinued, maybe they will come up with Toughsystem 2.0, too. The good thing with Tanos cases is that you can find them in all colours.

16 minutes ago, wingless said:

For each of those bags I got engraved luggage tags w/ my name, phone number and tool ID. Each of those tags are a different color.

You can find Tanos cases in a lot of different colours. 

Spax Tanos.jpg

Lamello Tanos.jpg

Tanos Black.jpg

Tanos Fein.jpg

Tanos Yellow.jpg

Berner Tanos.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Portable storage?  Yes, color coding would be nice, but instead I have an assortment of DeWalt, Craftsman, Ridgid, and Milwaukee modular boxes.

As for tools, I'm not a fan of colorized hand tools.  They remind me of something from Harbor Freight.

44 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Portable storage?  Yes, color coding would be nice, but instead I have an assortment of DeWalt, Craftsman, Ridgid, and Milwaukee modular boxes.

As for tools, I'm not a fan of colorized hand tools.  They remind me of something from Harbor Freight.

This colour coding (which is a type of coating) on steel hand tools does make them more resistant to oxidization due to humidity and etc. Also when you have a lot of hand tools and accessories it can help you to quickly recognize the profile and size. 

I am a color coding fanatic, and it causes me pain to own a Kobalt Miter Saw and Circular saw. I'm knee deep in Craftsman Red and am hoping for them to release a dual bevel miter saw of their own. I can sell the circular since I own a Festool Track saw and own a Craftsman Recip.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:06 PM, wingless said:

These are the custom engraved tags I used for my DeWALT tool bags.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Sure, understood, but a bag is required when the tool is larger than the box.

My first step w/ each of my bagged tools was to determine if I could design a custom case, like I did for my DeWALT DCS355 OMT.

When that didn't / couldn't work I went with / remained with the bag approach, hence the utility of color coded custom engraved tags.

44744299530_a63077795c_b.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wingless said:

My first step w/ each of my bagged tools was to determine if I could design a custom case, like I did for my DeWALT DCS355 OMT.

When that didn't / couldn't work I went with / remained with the bag approach, hence the utility of color coded custom engraved tags.

I will get a 3D printer and make these inserts with solid plastic the way I want. not happy with these foams. But I like the concept in this photo as you have used two different type of multi tool blade storages they have, they both have their own use.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wingless said:

You are right, DeWALT should make a bit bigger Toughsystem Tool boxes for their larger tools. Not all of their tools fit in Toughsystem boxes. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:50 PM, Altan said:

This colour coding (which is a type of coating) on steel hand tools does make them more resistant to oxidization due to humidity and etc. Also when you have a lot of hand tools and accessories it can help you to quickly recognize the profile and size. 

For hand tools, I think it's really up to the needs of the user.  When I was a mechanic I knew exactly where each wrench or socket was and could grab the right size by just looking at the fastener.

I want to get back to that level of organization, when if a coworker needed to borrow a tool I could simply say, "top box, center drawer" as opposed to me searching for minutes to find that elusive 10mm or even a spotted screwdriver (I had to use a CRKT Guppie to install sights this morning as I couldn't find one of the dozens of 1/4" spotted drivers I own).

3 hours ago, fm2176 said:

For hand tools, I think it's really up to the needs of the user.  When I was a mechanic I knew exactly where each wrench or socket was and could grab the right size by just looking at the fastener.

I want to get back to that level of organization, when if a coworker needed to borrow a tool I could simply say, "top box, center drawer" as opposed to me searching for minutes to find that elusive 10mm or even a spotted screwdriver (I had to use a CRKT Guppie to install sights this morning as I couldn't find one of the dozens of 1/4" spotted drivers I own).

I agree, depends on the user and the work (amount of hand tools and the climate), It is good to have both options from well known brands for all hand tools. It is also good if you have an idiot handyman next to you :) You don't need to tell him to bring size 11mm when you are on the ladder, you will tell him to bring the green one :))) 

• Like 1