JEPSON 6204 1/2" ELECTRIC IMPACT

So, my brother loaned me an old JEPSON 6204 1/2"electric impact.

using it with a spring compressor to change the struts/springs on my VW GTI, almost finished and it kinda gave up with some grinding noises and i figured it was done.

set it aside for a while in the bottom of the tool box.

Was helping a friend in his garage and he had an old Black&Decker 2214-09 that needed a new cord.

i said i had several cords i was going to put new ends on and i could use one to fix his impact.

while i had it at my house replacing the power cord i noticed it was physically the same as my JEPSON.

So i took it apart and looked at the insides, then found a exploded drawing of the 2214-09 online.

I then took the JEPSON apart and found it identical inside, and missing the sleeve bearing in the end of the cam and gear assembly.

Everything else seemed fine. Now i did find a tiny roller bearing inside the cavity of the cam and gear where the sleeve bearing is in the 2214-09.

However the 2214-09 has a standard looking sleeve bearing, not a roller bearing, and that is listed in an exploded diagram of the 2214-09

I searched but never found any drawings or parts lists for the 6204, but did find info stating it was an all ball bearing built impact.

So I am thinking maybe the 6204 had a tiny roller bearing instead of a sleeve bearing, but i cant see why i can't use a bronze sleeve bearing to make it work again.

I would have just ordered the sleeve bearing for the 2214-09 but it was shown on the exploded diagram but skipped in the parts list so NLA

I also found a listing for a 2214 TYPE 100 but it is a slightly different setup at the back of that cam and gear assembly, and while the list that sleeve bearing as available at 6$ I tried to order it just to see if it was a match, but after placing the order and waiting I received an email stating it was NLA

To that end i took measurements and have ordered a couple standard and metric ultra low friction bronze sleeve bearings from Mcmaster-Carr [two of each size] so if i need to do some slight work on them i have a spare to go to.

still waiting on the metric High-Load Ultra-Low friction sleeve bearing to get here before i start the fitting process.

my question at this time is when i get this sleeve bearing fitted i want to add a bit of grease back in the nose of the impact before buttoning it up and looking for a recommendation of what type of grease to use in this application as the online drawing do not list anything.

Sorry for the long winded description,

Thanks for reading

Douglas

Welcome to the forum.

My Milwaukee tools define a specific Milwaukee grease for each tool.

My speculation is that any decent / clean automotive wheel bearing grease will be ideal for the application. Enough to provide localized lubrication, not to get everywhere.

• Like 1

thanks, it is still greased but after multiple time handling the parts i feel i need to add some.

All i have in the garage at the moment is a high temp grease used in the door mechanisms of steam autoclaves, known as Neptune N7.

I will drop by the local autoparts store and grab some wheel bearing grease next time Im off my hill

see the 11th grease down:https://orelube.com/orelube-products/orelube-industrial-greases/

It's description sounds like it might work

3 hours ago, Altan said:

This brand soon will make tools using Metabo batteries. I did not know this brand is known by Americans. 

you mean the JEPSON brand?.  This tool is older and it is identical to the Black&Decker 2214-09 except the 6204 has machine screws holding the nose on versus the sheet metal style screws on the 2214-09. and of course where it seems to have had a roller bearing where the 2214-09 has that sleeve bearing.  But I cannot find many references to it on the web.

unfortunately even the 2214-09 is so old many parts are unavailable, including the brush holder assemblies my buddies really needed at least one of.

35 minutes ago, Stingray230SX said:

you mean the JEPSON brand?.  This tool is older and it is identical to the Black&Decker 2214-09 except the 6204 has machine screws holding the nose on versus the sheet metal style screws on the 2214-09. and of course where it seems to have had a roller bearing where the 2214-09 has that sleeve bearing.  But I cannot find many references to it on the web.

unfortunately even the 2214-09 is so old many parts are unavailable, including the brush holder assemblies my buddies really needed at least one of.

Yes, the brand "Jepson" has joined CAS (Cordless Alliance System) by Metabo, totally 32 brands by now. 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:48 AM, Stingray230SX said:

Here is a photo from Metabo 

Jepson Power CAS.jpg