Increase the life of RM480e Riding mower?

jgilliam1955

While watching YouTube how to change out my batteries it was mentioned to add this product to the batteries. It will increase the life of the batteries 2 to 3 times. My first 4 batteries lasted 5 years. You have to use the 48 Volt one. Pulsetech PowerPulse Battery Maintenance System is the name. I installed it on my mower & the 12 -volt one on my Camper & home

generator. Here is a YouTube video about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am always interested when someone says their batteries failed. Did all four fail? Leoch states these batteries should be good for 1,500-1,700 charges. My 48 month old RM480e has over 350 charges on it and it will still mow for over 2 hrs. My neighbor's RM480ex is also in its fifth mowing season with over 300 hours of run time and over 600 charge cycles. Last month, he was seeing reduced run times and load testing revealed one battery not able to hold voltage under load.  Replacement returned like new performance. Given that the Ryobi system limits the Depth Of Discharge to about 30%, I wonder how much the battery saver devices will really extend the life of these SAL/AGM batteries. 

Power Pulse replied to my detailed description of the Ryobi riding mower charging system.  Even though my batteries are performing pretty much like new with over 350 charges. Pretty much what I expected.

"Thank you for contacting us.  The PowerPulse will not allow sulfates to accumulate and reduce the capacity of your batteries.  When batteries are even slightly discharged, the sulfates will start accumulating and the buildup rate increases with the depth of discharge.  Using this product will work well together with your charger to make the bank perform stronger for an extended period"

• Like 1

I posed the same question to Delta Q, the maker of the SC 48 charger used with the Ryobi 48 volt mowers. They also make chargers for the golf cart market and their chargers are used with high end cart makers. Here's their response.

"You are doing very well with your charger and battery pack already!  We do not have any data or evidence that a sulfation reduction device provides any benefit.  If you are using good charging and maintenance practices to keep the batteries topped up all the time then you should not have to worry about sulfation.
That said, the charger will do some desulphation on its own each cycle during the finish phase.."

• 8 months later...

My original LPC12-75 batteries just had their 2,078th charge cycle, 150 hours of run time, and are over 56 months old. Mowed today for 32 minutes and used no bars on the BLM. Only used the Delta Q SC-48 charger to charge these batteries. Mower has saved $630 in gas and maintenance and new 100 ahr. batteries will cost $720. 

• 4 weeks later...

Installed 4 Mighty Max ML100-12 batteries in place of the original Leoch LPC12-75 batteries. Run time had decreased this year to about 40 minutes. The originals did 152 hours of run time, 234 mows, 2,090 charges, and a lifetime Depth Of Discharge of 10.9%. The mower has saved $685 in gas and maintenance. This was enough to pay for the new 100 ahr. batteries, which makes the mower a RM480ex now.  So my guestimate five years ago played out correctly.