Gridfinity - The Open Source 3d Printable Modular Storage Bin Solution

Jronman

I somehow got word of this system called Gridfinity. It is a System of storage bins that you make with a 3d printer. It is modular meaning most if not all components are compatible with each other. It includes a grid system that the bins interface with to effectively secure the bins in place. It is also open source meaning you can tweak or change any part file to your liking. Also I would imagine parts cant be behind a paywall either. You can also build your own part file from scratch. All dimensions should be a known value. I have seen other modular storage systems but none are open source and some are even behind a paywall. Also I felt like if you compare just your basic bins of each system, the Gridfinity was the most feature rich. It also had the potential for even more features since anyone can design their own gridfinity parts. I could see many bins and other components working well in wood shops and other types of making and crafting. workbenches or miter stations with lots of drawers would work well with the system. You could even modify the grid to fit Packout or Tough System boxes and drawers. 

What are your guys's thoughts on modular bin systems? Is it something you would use (lets say cost of print filament, time, and knowhow are a non issue)? Would you design your own parts, would you just print other peoples designs, or maybe would you do a mixture of both? 

Here are two videos from the guy who kinda Pioneered the system.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, Jronman said:

I somehow got word of this system called Gridfinity. It is a System of storage bins that you make with a 3d printer. It is modular meaning most if not all components are compatible with each other. It includes a grid system that the bins interface with to effectively secure the bins in place. It is also open source meaning you can tweak or change any part file to your liking. Also I would imagine parts cant be behind a paywall either. You can also build your own part file from scratch. All dimensions should be a known value. I have seen other modular storage systems but none are open source and some are even behind a paywall. Also I felt like if you compare just your basic bins of each system, the Gridfinity was the most feature rich. It also had the potential for even more features since anyone can design their own gridfinity parts. I could see many bins and other components working well in wood shops and other types of making and crafting. workbenches or miter stations with lots of drawers would work well with the system. You could even modify the grid to fit Packout or Tough System boxes and drawers. 

What are your guys's thoughts on modular bin systems? Is it something you would use (lets say cost of print filament, time, and knowhow are a non issue)? Would you design your own parts, would you just print other peoples designs, or maybe would you do a mixture of both? 

Here are two videos from the guy who kinda Pioneered the system.

I am a big fan of 3D printing and CNC machining. You can design and make whatever you want, instead of waiting for DeWALT to make a TSTAK to Toughsystem adapter for ages you can just make it yourself. 

I think the accessory cases that DeWALT makes are the best but not completed so I would like to make compatible parts for their cases. But the quality of 3D print is not very good, yet so I am still on hold!