A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DCD710 12V LITHIUM ION DRILL/DRIVER

kanxrus

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heavier duty drills normally have a cast metal gearbox section fitted at the front of the drill - a method known as ‘jampot’ construction. This method is better suited for high-torque applications, better construction allows the shells to hold together without separation where high torque occurs (gearbox, aka Transmission).

what kind of electronic package does this tool have on it compared to the Milwaukee? I like the idea of my tool having  electronics to protect my investment. IE: battery and tool.

referring back to my previous question: Jampot design drills have metal gear casings and clutches...are you saying that all calm shell design drills use plastic internals and gears? I know it makes the tool lighter but does it make it more susceptible to breakage?

Most jam-pot designs have a metal case where the gearbox goes, that does not necessarily mean the transmission is better designed, or has fewer plastic components. It just means the metal case is protecting the transmission from outside abuse.

With DEWALT's XRP5 drills, DCD9** series the Metal case actually act's as the transmissions gearbox. A true all metal design.

Check out the "a look inside" board, you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

If your making a comparison between Milwaukee's M12 drill vs all others, I think it was a nice gesture for Milwaukee to make it a jam-pot design, however it's a 12v drill. It's not needed, nor is it necessary.

Dewalt's 12v Max has two electronic boards involved with the safety, one small board inside the battery, and another inside the Trigger Switch. The electronics prevent damage to the cells via over-discharging, temperature extremes damage to the drill itself, etc...

• 1 month later...

The DeWalt 12Volt MAX Tools continue to receive positive reviews.

This month's Fine Home Building magazine issue May, 2011 has a review of the latest 12 V Lithium Drills..

The DeWalt DCF710 Drill finished on top with Editor's Choice.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Popular Mechanics (Dec 2011, page 98) just did a test with this drill vs 12 other models (B&D, Bosch, Craftsman, Milwaukee...).  The Dewalt DCD710 scored #2  with 'Best Newcomer', with Milwaukee being #1 with 'Best Overall'.  The Dewalt drilled 196 1/2" holes (in 1"x8" board) & drove 171 2.5" screws (in pressure treated lumber).

I got this in a combo kit. Never found a use for it and probably never will.

I have never seen a M12 at a construction site.  I only seen a few 12v max, but mostly Dewalt 18v.  But I do see all brands.  The DCD710 is the most comfortable drill I have ever held to date.

What combo kit did you get?

The 12V max drill driver I don't have a use for.

Don't take my comment as knocking the 12V max tools. I like this line, and now the 20V max tools are out, most of my cordless tool purchases are now Dewalt.

What was the tool that you do not have a use for?  The drill driver, or the screw driver?

The 12V max drill driver I don't have a use for.

Don't take my comment as knocking the 12V max tools. I like this line, and now the 20V max tools are out, most of my cordless tool purchases are now Dewalt.

What was the tool that you do not have a use for?  The drill driver, or the screw driver?

Sorry if I sounded put off by that, I am more just curious. I have always been pretty impressed with the drill/driver, so it surprised me to hear that.  I appreciate the feedback though!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...