Hitachi DS10DFL vs DEWALT DCD710 drill/driver review.

kanxrus

Click here to read the next review. Dewalt vs Milwaukee.

This review is the first of many upcoming reviews of different drivers in the 12v sub-compact line. In these reviews, I will be testing;

* Ergonomics

* Features

* Run-Time

* Torque

* Charge Time

* A look inside DCD710, DS10DFL, BCL1015, DC8120.

I will also list each tool's specs, as well as a subjective/objective overall grade for each category listed above after I have tested all models. Grade scale 1-5, 1 being the highest score, 5 being the lowest score.

My first series of review/test's will be between 12v lithium ion drill/drivers.

First up, Dewalt DCD710 vs Hitachi DS10DFL.

DS10DFLvsDCD710.JPG

Dewalt has scrapped it's 12v NiCd battery stem style battery pack, and completely revamped the new 12v Max line with a new slide pack battery. Downside, your old 12v NiCd tools are NOT compatible with Dewalt's new 12v max line. The new 12v max line also has a dedicated charger. This charger has the same style red flashing light like Dewalt's traditional chargers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ukyemM45Co

The new slide pack has allowed Dewalt to create a better ergonomic grip, as well the ability to stand the tool up-right. A feature most of us are accustomed to on our larger voltage drivers. Hitachi has taken a similar approach, although it's not a slide pack, it does allow the tool to stand up-right. A feature not common with most other 12v lithium drivers currently on the market. The Dewalt battery does have a wider base than the Hitachi, allowing the drill to stand up-right with better balance.

DS10DFLvsDCD710-6.JPG

Ergonomics;

Both Hitachi and Dewalt have done an amazing job with ergonomics. Both have good balance, and comfort when working with these drivers. The Dewalt DCD710 is slightly longer at 7 9/16" vs the Hitachi DS10DFL at 7 3/8" (not including chuck teeth.) However the DCD710 is slightly shorter at 8" vs the DS10DFL at 8 1/4" (with battery).

DS10DFLvsDCD710-7.JPG

The Hitachi DS10DFL tool only weighs in at 1lb 14oz (2 lbs 6 oz with battery). 2 ounces lighter than the Dewalt DCD710 at 2 lbs,( 2lbs 8oz with battery and belt clip.) Or 1oz lighter without the belt clip.

DS10DFL-5.JPGDCD710.JPG

FEATURES;

Both Drill/Drivers feature a 3/8" chuck. The Dewalt uses a Jacob's 4000 series ratcheting chuck 1/16"-3/8". The Hitachi uses a Hitachi branded non-ratcheting chuck 1/16"-3/8". During testing, I found the Hitachi chuck would sometimes come loose. Both Drills feature a bright LED light located below the chuck. The pictures below show each drill/driver compared against Dewalt's new screwdriver. The Hitachi LED is slightly brighter.

DS10DFL-6.JPGDCD710LIGHT.JPG

The Dewalt DCD710 features a belt clip that can be mounted on either side, with a v notch cut out of the center  of the clip allowing you to hang the tool on a screw or nail. The Hitachi DS10DFL does not feature a belt clip, nor the option to attach/purchase one later. If your a lanyard kinda guy/gal, both drill/drivers feature a loop on the back you can attach a lanyard to.

> DS10DFLvsDCD710-5.JPG

The Dewalt DCD710 features rubber bumpers on the  top and bottom of the drill. If you choose to lay your drill on it's side, you will not mar up the surface you are laying it on. The Hitachi DS10DFL does not have this feature.

IMG_7551.JPG

Both drill/drivers feature a 2 speed transmission. The Hitachi features a 22 position clutch, while the Dewalt features a 16 position chuck.

RUN-TIME;

In the run-time test's, we charged and drained each battery 3 times. Then left overnight on the charger. 24hrs later we re-drained the batteries and recharged them for the first test. For lack of time we only tested run-time in a drilling application.

THE SETUP;

We did two test's each, then filmed the 3rd on camera. The test's were done in 2nd gear, using a brand new Dewalt 1/2" spade bit. Model DW1574. Charged, and operated at 75 degrees. We used a 2x12 kiln dried Douglas fir premium lumber. It's worth mentioning, that during these test's both drills slowed down to a stop much like a NiCd battery would. A feature not currently common with Dewalt's lithium ion electronics.

After both batteries cooled down, the Dewalt DCB120 still had juice to complete  more holes, we did not take those holes into consideration on this test. The Hitachi BCL1015 battery did not have any power left after cool down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7DfBbGolVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMk5gXpYTKI

The Dewalt DCD710;

TEST 1  69

TEST 2, 67

TEST 3, 68 1/2

AVERAGE = 68 Holes drilled.

The Hitachi DS10DFL;

TEST 1, 57 1\2

TEST 2, 56

TEST 3, 55 1/2

AVERAGE= 56 Holes drilled.

TORQUE;

Hitachi and Dewalt had similar torque. I would not say one out preformed the other. Both easily drove 3/8"x3" lags, and 1 1/2" forstner bit's without lugging down. That being said, the Dewalt DCD710 does offer the same torque as the Hitachi DS10DFL at higher RPM's. Your application speeds are noticeably faster with the Dewalt DCD710.

CHARGE TIME;

Both Hitachi, and Dewalt offer a 40 minute charge time. We decided to test the charge time. We completely drained the batteries, and I mean completely! They are as followed.

Hitachi- 41 Minutes

Dewalt- 35 Minutes

SPECS:

> hitachiDS10DFLSpecsheet.jpg

Thanks for reading my first review on the 12v sub-compact line. I look forward to reading your thoughts, and opinions.

Click here to read the next review. Dewalt vs Milwaukee.

• 7 months later...

Archived