Dewalt Launches new 5" Low Profile Random Orbit Sander D26456

kanxrus

*UPDATED 11.9.2010*

I stumbled across this today online. Dewalt's new Low Profile 5" ROM Sander D26456.

D26456-1.jpgD26456-2.jpg

D26456-3.jpgD26456-4.jpg

394_1.gifD26456_1.gif

394_2.gifD26456_2.gif

It was this time last year that Porter Cable Launched their new 394 low profile ROM sander. looks like the specs are about the same.

* 3.5 Amp EnduraTech Motor for increased performance and durability

* Electronic Load Control for 42% faster material removal

* EnduraTech Motor Technology has 71% fewer wear components for 5-10 times longer motor life

* Electronic motor brake reduces spin-down time by 73% for increased productivity

* Mechanical pad brake reduces free-spin to virtually eliminate gouging

* Low profile design reduces sander height by 31% for better control and finish

* Variable speed dial, 7,500 - 12,000 opm, optimizes removal rate on a variety of materials

* Optimized ergonomics with rubber grip for comfort and control

* Integral dust port accepts 1" and 1-1/2" vacuum hoses for optimal dust collection

* 3/32" Orbit Diameter

I have been patiently waiting to see if this new technology would be integrated into the Dewalt sanders. It looks like it finally made it! I will post some actual spec's on it once it is released.

Here is some more information on the endruatech motor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I´m not sure if I have heard the name porter cable here in Sweden. Is Porter Cable a low budget tool in the US like Black and Decker is over here. But worst tool with a name here in Sweden is Biltema tools and if you translate it it means Car Theme. But then we also have shitty no name tools proberly from china I guess. I think Hilti and Makita might be the two biggest here but personaly I like the Dewalts best. Hilti is good but to much money is for the brand.

From WIKI

Porter-Cable is an American company that manufactures power tools. The company is known for introducing a number of noteworthy power tools, such as the first portable belt sander, helical-drive circular saw, and portable band saw. It is a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker.

Porter-Cable was founded in 1906 by R.E. Porter, G.G. Porter, and F.E. Cable, who, starting with a $2,300 investment, opened a jobbing machine and tool shop out of their garage in Syracuse, New York. In 1914, the company began to focus on power tools, starting with a line of power lathes. In 1917, the company bought a plant in on North Salina Street in Syracuse.

In 1926, Chief Engineer Art Emmons invented the portable electric belt sander, called the Take-About Sander, and the company began to develop a niche in portable electric power tools. In 1929, Emmons invented the helical-drive circular saw, a compact, lightweight design that is still the most widely used circular saw design produced today.

In 1960, the company was sold to Rockwell International. Rockwell made numerous changes, including phasing out the Porter-Cable name, relocating the company's base of operations to Jackson, Tennessee, and creating a lower end of power tools to compete with Black & Decker. These tools had numerous reliability problems and harmed the brand's image.

In 1981, Pentair, Inc. acquired Rockwell's power tool group—consisting of Porter-Cable and Delta Machinery—and restored the Porter-Cable name. The company repositioned itself as a manufacturer of professional power tools and ended production of consumer-level tools. In 1989, the company introduced the first electric random orbital sander. Around this time, the company expanded into broader retail channels, including The Home Depot and Lowe's, greatly expanding its production in the process.

In 1996, the Smithsonian Institution established a collection of materials from the company's 90-year history, the first such collection for a power tool company.

In 2000, Porter-Cable consolidated with sister company Delta Machinery, the latter moving its headquarters and distribution center from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Jackson. The same year, Pentair acquired DeVilbiss Air Power Company and, in 2002, Porter-Cable expanded its line-up to include air compressors, air tools, generators, and pressure washers.

In 2005, the Pentair Tools Group—comprising Porter-Cable, Delta Machinery, DeVilbiss Air Power, and others—was purchased by Black & Decker, now Stanley Black & Decker. Since the purchase by Stanley Black & Decker the company has been systematically discontinuing all of the tool models for which Porter-Cable has been known for over the decades. Tool models that had achieved legendary status for durability and effectiveness, such as the Model 504 Sander, (the "Locomotive" belt sander a direct descendant of Porter-Cable's first "Take-About" which put the company on the map) Model 314 4 1/2" worm gear drive Trim Saw, the 9118 Porta-Plane, and the "Locomotive" inspired 9725 Porta-Band to name just a few. These tools were and are icons of the industry, and tools that though costing a premium, were known to be multi generational in their durability.

Archived