hammer drill major FAIL

pjm electric

• 1 year later...

Those don't look like they were used gently.  They are guaranteed tough, not guaranteed to go through Heck and back!

Good luck finding any manufacture who would warranty a tool that look's like that. They don't crack like that on there own, those took a hefty drop or two.

Those drill's have been left out in the element's as well. Corrosion build up on the magnesium casing. I can see all kind's of gunk on the motor housing. Take better care of your tools buddy, and they will take care of you.

You could always take advantage of DEWALT's GRC. The GRC for the DC988 is $99. You could have them both back in brand new condition and running well for $200. Or you could throw on a new clamshell yourself in about 6 minutes. Nano base is $11.45, and NiCd base is $9.98 for the pair. The gear case that you cracked will set you back $55.

DeWalt dude, the first one I can't say 100 % if it was dropped because it was not my personal tool but, the second that just broke about 3 months ago was never out of my possession as it was my personal tool. "Take better care of your tools buddy, and they will take care of you."DEWALTDUDE It has been in a damp/wet garage and thats where the rust came from. When they were being used everyday they were working tools not homeowner sit on the shelf tools. Yes they were used hard but I have Hilti and Bosch tools which are many years older than these and they are still intact. I bought the drills with metal gear boxes and chuck so they were not cheap tools when I bought them. I can't say that I got my money's worth out of these tools, I'm not going to spend my time polishing them to take them to a rep. As it sounds as I'm SOOL anyway by what your saying.

i'm not an expert but this sounds crazy... can you post a picture of the drill bit that broke these drills? i mean, the pull force to crack the aluminum casing and the drill shell must have at least fractured a hand bone or pull a ligament...

Amen Brotha!

I see this kind of situation all the time.  A user uses his/her tool in a manner that the tool is not designed for, which after regular abuse weakens the integrity of the tool, then it breaks while doing an average application due to the history of misuse, and they blame it on the tool.

I should point out that I do not know "PJMElectric", so I am not talking about his situation specifically.  I just come across similar situations often.

• 4 months later...

Those don't look like they were used gently.  They are guaranteed tough, not guaranteed to go through Heck and back!

Good luck finding any manufacture who would warranty a tool that look's like that. They don't crack like that on there own, those took a hefty drop or two.

Those drill's have been left out in the element's as well. Corrosion build up on the magnesium casing. I can see all kind's of gunk on the motor housing. Take better care of your tools buddy, and they will take care of you.

You could always take advantage of DEWALT's GRC. The GRC for the DC988 is $99. You could have them both back in brand new condition and running well for $200. Or you could throw on a new clamshell yourself in about 6 minutes. Nano base is $11.45, and NiCd base is $9.98 for the pair. The gear case that you cracked will set you back $55.

Get one of these and you won't have this problem:  http://youtu.be/shXjzMurY8w

Don't give me that grass crap!  The DeWalt would shatter!  I'm not saying the bosch is better in every regard, but durability is definitely their game!

• 5 months later...