DeWalt DCF826 vs DC827

roadhog96

What's the difference between these two? They both have the NANO small base, specs appear to be the same???? If you buy them in a kit form the DC827KL comes with the DC9180 batteries and the DCF826KL comes with the compact DC9181 batteries. Other than this what's the difference? Why would the tool itself have a different model number if they are the same tool with just different batteries?

Why would the tool itself have a different model number if they are the same tool with just different batteries?

Multiple reasons, first off, to keep track of sales of each kit. Second, distributors would have a hard time figuring out the difference between a compact lithium vs. XRP lithium on the shelf with the same model number, third when someone returns a tool distributors need to know how much credit to give back to the customer. There is a price difference between all 3. I could probably go on, but you get the idea. Nothing to do with marketing.

I get the picture. Seems DeWalt should use an easier and better way to track without creating so much confusion. Most manufactures that I've seen that sell the same model in different configurations uses the same model number for all models and add additional code numbers after the model number to indicated the differences. Example would be say you bought a DCF826KL and it was available with the compact and large batteries. They would simply add numbers at the end of the model number to indicate what size battery it came with. DCF826KL81 or DCF826KL80 much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't call them schemes. Just different options to the customer. Some people will stick with the Nicad batteries because it's affordable and have been proven on the jobsite. Some people are concerned about weight so they want lithium, Dewalt offers different options. If they only sold the impact driver with the XRP lithium Battery there would be a thread on here complaining that they don't sell the impact with the compact lithium or NiCad batteries.

Archived