Dewalt Impact Ready Torx?

roadhog96

Notice today that the DeWalt Drill/Driver Accessories display at Home Depot had just about everything including the Impact Ready but they do not have any T-25 Torx bits. Checked out the DeWalt web site and they do not list any Impact Ready Torx bits, just the regular duty ones. They had Impact Ready square, slotted, philips but no Torx? The Driver accessory kits do not have them either. Most of the deck wood screws they sell use a T-25 to drive them. Years ago most all their screws took a Philips but that's not the case anymore. Why doesn't DeWalt make these Torx style bits for Impact use?

I think that it is just a matter of time until they come out.  However, at this point in time (not trying to contridict you) most decking screws are either phillips or square drive around most of the country.  The market does seem to be shifting away from phillips, but it is still not clear if things will go predominantly to square drive or torx. 

Another reason that I would attribute to DeWalt not having torx in impact rated yet is due to the nature of torx, in that it spreads the force over so many surfaces and does not cause the accessories to fail as often under heavy load.  This is not to say that there is not a benefit to impact ready torx, but just why the urgency may not have been there to get them out immediately.

I have to agree with you, most of the deck screws that suppliers sell are either square drive or Philips but the Deck Mate Brand that Home Depot and Lowe's sells mostly use the Torx drive. They sell tons of these screws, their shelves are loaded with many different sizes and in several colors. They are used for outside wood construction projects and are approved for use with Pressure Treated lumber. They use to stock these screws in Philips drive only but they all seem to be the Torx now. I tried a regular Torx bit in the Impact Driver a ran one of the screws in to some PT wood without any predrilling several times and the bit did not break so for now I'll just have to use what I have. Maybe DeWalt will come out with some down the road. I emailed them and requested them, see what happens. There would probably be a better chance for this request materializing if a DeWalt employee was to ask about them. I don't have the connections to the right people, I'm just a home owner DIYer.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,348.msg1183.html#msg1183

I started a topic on this exact same thing back in June 2010.  I use the DeckMate torx (T-25) screws for tons of outdoor projects; decks, fences, steps, 4'x8' siding, sheds, etc.  Grip Rite makes torx ("star drive") screws that look just like the DeckMate ones, but keep in mind they take a T-20 bit.  The bit that comes in the DeckMate box seems to do ok, but the DeWalt bits are slightly better.  They will all eventually start to round off though.  Always keep a couple extra bits on hand.

I received a reply back from DeWalt and it said my request was forwarded on to their Marketing Team. Maybe they will pick up on the idea. I have used the bits that come with the Deck Mate screws also and they seem to hold up OK but like you mention they do wear a little faster than the DeWalt ones. They sell 2" ones that will fit the Impact Drivers. The ones in the screw boxes are only 1" and will not work.

I'm sending off another request to DeWalt for possibly a kit that would include a variety of Impact Ready 1/4" drive sockets, Philips, Torx, Slotted, Square, and Allen bits both in SAE and Metric sizes. This would cover just about everything you would probably every need to do any job.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Several days ago, I just bought myself a 2" (50.8 mm) Dewalt Impact Ready Magnetic Bit Holder and I am so glad I did.  Now I can finally drill with my tamper resistant Torx drill bits. 

But if your looking for different size Torx drill bits,  I actually do know where of a place to get different size Torx drill bits.  I think the store is called Fastenal and they carry standard torx bits, Torx Plus bits, Torx security/tamper resistant bits and of course, ball end drill bits.  I believe the bits I got were made in USA as well.

Now while it is fairly easy to find standard torx bits, it's not that simple to find quality Torx plus and Torx TR drill bits either.  Now it's not that I don't like Dewalt drill bits, but while T25 is fairly standard for some screws, that isn't always the case.

I just hope I didn't violate the whole no solicitation policy though,  but from personal experience, it's not always that easy to find out information, even less on non standard drill bits. 

Archived