DC827 HELP.

Jimmie Neutron

This is my first post... please take it easy on the noob! lol

I purchased a DC827 as a bare tool in either February or March...

I have only put two full DC9180 batteries through her and she stopped working about 1/4 way through the third.

I realize that what I am using it for may not be the intended application; which is automotive work. But let me clarify that statement: I break everything loose and torque fasteners down by hand; the tedious running them in and out I used this wonderful "impact".

The issue is that the motor still spins, but the bits no longer move with any power; I can stop them with two fingers.

I tore it down, hoping I could find an obvious broken part... no such luck.

So I started searching the net and found this forum and this thread.

From what I see on the pictures, the pinion is no longer attached to the motor. I can shake it out of the mechanism, but it is not attached to anything. I imagine that this is the issue, but am curious as to how it attaches!

Hope to hear from you soon!

~J

The gear off of the motor should slide into the female end of the anvil. If the male end is in-tact and not stripped, then it sounds like the female end is messed up, or the shaft that connects the female to the anvil has broken?

Sounds like you should return it from where you purchased it from for an exchange.

Sorry to be such a tool (pun possibly intended lol) but could you use the pictures with some arrows so I know what you are talking about?? I am a very visual person.

This makes me wish I did not buy it off eBay...

even though it was listed as new...

looked new...

brushes say it's new too.

So I either need to buy parts to fix it, or find a way to fix it myself.

Thank you so much for your reply...

~J

You have no idea how much of a relief that is to find out that it is within the warranty!

Am I over-taxing it with my use?

I am working on posting pictures of what I found when I opened it up... I have no way to link my phone to my PC since the port broke a few weeks ago; so I have to email them to myself, download them, then upload to flickr. What a pain!

lol

Looking for the nearest service center in the mean time...

~J

You have no idea how much of a relief that is to find out that it is within the warranty!

Am I over-taxing it with my use?

I am working on posting pictures of what I found when I opened it up... I have no way to link my phone to my PC since the port broke a few weeks ago; so I have to email them to myself, download them, then upload to flickr. What a pain!

lol

Looking for the nearest service center in the mean time...

~J

As long as your not breaking lugs loose, you mentioned that you are just using it to remove loosened lugs. If that's the case, then no you are not over-using it.

As far as the date goes, the 2010-50 means it was manufactured on the 50th week of 2010, so it's only 6 months old. However, the service center may revoke the warranty if the tool was opened up. You may want to explain yourself when you take it in.

Well, at least I know for sure what the issue is now... lol

I found a service center in Midland, about an hour drive away. Fortunately, I have family over there that we will be spending time with this weekend. I will stop by this center and hope I get better service than I read about online... we will see!

If they won't fix it, I imagine my Dad and I can come up with a solution. He runs his own machine shop... if need be, I see a spring pin being installed in the near future.  8)

I found a service center in Midland, about an hour drive away. Fortunately, I have family over there that we will be spending time with this weekend. I will stop by this center and hope I get better service than I read about online... we will see!

Dewalt Factory Service Centers are only open Monday through Friday and the ones I've seen close at 4 on Friday, just FYI. You can always ship them the tool and they will ship back free of charge if it's still under warranty.

If you end up getting it replaced I would get the DW059 Wrench. It's designed for those applications, the driver not.

Thanks for the heads up on hours of operation... we will be there Friday afternoon until late Monday.

The DW059 will not fit into the spaces I need it to... the DC827 barely does in some of the circumstances.

Like I said before, I am not torquing anything down or using it to loosen; I am doing those tasks by hand.

As a matter of fact, the impact action does not even engage 80% of the time.

So far, so good.

I walked in the service center and was greeted by two very large Husky's.

Then a woman came out of the back, asked what I was there for... I told her about the issues, showed her the date code, and she said that they will UPS it back to me within two weeks, probably sooner.

We will see how that goes!

Thanks again for the help!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry this has taken so long to get a follow up...

They had to order parts, so it took them a little over a month to get it fixed.

I received the fixed tool -then noticed that forward was reverse and reverse was forward. Annoying, but I can deal with that until next time I was going to be in Midland to have them fix it.

Started using it and within 1/4 of the battery pack, the same thing happend. I called them up and they asked for me to bring it in... so I did, the same day.

They apologized over and over again about the failure of the tool. I asked them if I was doing anything to cause this continued failure, telling them exactly how I was using it. Their response was encouraging... they stated that there was no way I should be able to break the part that was breaking. As a matter of fact, they said if this particular part ever breaks on me, even after warranty, they will fix it or at least supply the parts free of charge.

They were able to fix it on the spot in about 15 minutes and I have not had any issues since.... and I am on my third pack! lol

OH!

And they fixed the forward is reverse and reverse is forward issue.

Archived