A LOOK INSIDE DeWALT'S DCB200 20V MAX LITHIUM ION BATTERY

kanxrus

Well, that was kinda obvious before they even released the press release -  Sanyo was their bet.

UR18650W2

http://www.simpower.co.nz/shop/images/UR18650W.pdf

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/346921912/Sanyo_18650_UR18650W2_high_Power_cell_.html

Cells are about $4-$4.75 a piece (that's Dewalt's cost). Passive components inside are 20 cents, and the connector and shell are a couple of bucks. I haven't seen MSRP but I predict they will be $79.99 a piece or $129.99 for 2-pack in NA.

Charge rate is 1C which is good.

Discharge is 10C or 16A, yielding ~32A per pack - comparable to Sonys in Makita, not impressed but "OK".

I'm personally "Okay" with this battery. Cycle life is probably crap, but given the fact that it's 3Ah+ and much cheaper than A123 based batteries, it's a cost-effective solution. It's like using Ryobi NiCd batteries in Festool tools.

If anyone is thinking about rigging and adapter to use it in old tools - forget about it, the new batteries don't have a low voltage cutoff circuit and you will ruin the battery on first discharge.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If anyone is thinking about rigging and adapter to use it in old tools - forget about it, the new batteries don't have a low voltage cutoff circuit and you will ruin the battery on first discharge.

Can you (or anyone) go into further detail about this?

I was thinking of running a couple of wires to a Black & Decker string trimmer (has a 36v battery).

• 5 weeks later...

Not an expert on the Dewalt tools here, but with the Lithium cells used in this pack it is important not to drain them below  a certain voltage, otherwise they get permanent damaged.

So manufacturers have to put a protection either direct to the battery or to to the tool the battery is used in.

When using NiCad it doesn't really matter, NiMh also doesn't like to get deep discharged, but they loose power at the end of charge so people usually recharge early enough. There are some protected NiMh packs, though.