DW056 impact driver issue ...

deedub35

My trusty impact driver has recently developed an issue. When I squeeze the trigger all the way it does not always go to the highest speed. I will have to release and squeeze it several times for the highest speed to kick in. I am prepared to open it up and check it out. Do you think it is a simple matter of replacing the trigger mechanism? Could it be something else? Is it even worth fixing?

My trusty impact driver has recently developed an issue. When I squeeze the trigger all the way it does not always go to the highest speed. I will have to release and squeeze it several times for the highest speed to kick in. I am prepared to open it up and check it out. Do you think it is a simple matter of replacing the trigger mechanism? Could it be something else? Is it even worth fixing?

There is a variable resistor in the trigger group that more than likely has gotten a little dirty and the prong contacts are not pressing down nearly as well as they used to. I have opened up dozens of these switches and cleaned them and put the bend back in the prongs stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

The inside of the switch for the DW056 is similar but different than the above pictures.

Once I removed the top half clamshell I discovered that circuit board is part of the bottom half clamshell. Two of the metal contacts that are pressed in to the bottom half are soldered to the circuit board. I carefully tried to pry up the two metal contacts to remove the circuit board. Unfortunately one of the metal contacts broke off the circuit board along with a tiny surface mount electrical component.

I am going to have to buy a new switch.

Archived