Invest in M12 System?

DPSElias

I am currently a Dewalt 20v guy, have approx. 9 tools, but I have been thinking of getting some smaller more compact tools and with the M12 Fuels I am liking the brushless stuff and I like the ratchet as I would be able to use it, but was wondering if it'll be worth it or should I just stick with my dewalts? I do with dewalt would try to keep up with Milwaukee on tool count. 

I am interested in the M12 Fuel 3/8 Impact Wrench, Screw Driver or Drill (trying to weight pros and cons of each), and the M12 Ratchet.

This will be a change in direction that I have currently gone, as I liked the face of the 20/12V combi chargers and going this direction with nullify this pro. I could just keep using my Impact drivers with proper adapters.....dilemma!

Dewalt tools I have to give better idea how vested I am are: 20V: Recip Saw, Circular Saw, Premium Hammer DCF889, Brushed Impact, 3 Speed Brushless Impact, Grinder, Compact Brushless Drill, Oscill "Multi" Tool, 1/2 High Torque Impact Wrench; and for 12v: Temp Gun and Inspection camera.

The M12 fuel drill is lighter than the new Dewalt 20v brushless but their is not much different in the length between the two. It's not the most compact 12v brushless drill. Dewalt and Mac have teamed up and released automotive tools like ratchets and impact wrenches that use the Dewalt battery packs the TIA YouTube channel has some reviews. As much as I love my M12 fuel tools and such I don't know if its worth it to add another battery platform to the mix, but Milwaukee has tools that you want that Dewalt hasn't released yet. It's a though call buying a few M12 fuel tools wouldn't hurt you.

Seems you've came to the same conclusion I did....A tough call :)

Yea I was looking at the Mac stuff but they are not as easy to get as the Dewalt/Milwaukee stuff as I am not a Auto Tech anymore and the Mac truck doesn't come to my house, I might be able to arrange something though! :)

This is tough, maybe I'll wait to see if Dewalt will expand there 12v line, maybe a 2ah and a 4ah battery? The M12 has a lot of tools, but agree they are no more compact (arguably less compact), but does have some less weight and a large lineup of tools, I'd use this more for specialty tools, just not sure it'll be worth the expense if the batteries just sit there.

I think Dewalt R&Dis maxed out working on updating and new 20v tools. They started with the 12v to introduce slidepacks and just lost interest in the system. What was the last 12v tool released? Also Dewalt introduced that 8v lineup of tools, so that's competing also

I was thinking of the IR 20v stuff (ratchet and impacts), but the M12 has more extensive lineup and is brushless which I am liking, and I know they will be supported for long time to come, IR has changed there cordless setups twice in the last 5 years or so, and I wanted a system that I know wont stop being supported (i.e. Dewalt 18v) hence why I went Dewalt. Not saying Milwaukee will stop anytime soon. I think these new systems (Li-ion) are pretty stable and will be around for a long while (I hope I have to many cordless that are near impossible to get batteries for, i.e. Dewalt 24v)

A family member bought the 12v Drill/Driver combo and I like the grip and such, and it was what sold me on the 20v lineup, especially when they included a free battery at purchase.

Dewalt is either slacking or needs more help to ramp up there game to compete with the Milwaukee lineup.

You could get the m12 stuff and keep the 20v stuff. I like having both platforms so I can choose the best tool for the job. Many jobs can easily be tackled by the m12 and then use the 20v tools when you need full power.

I think dewalt could have had a better 20v and 12v lineup if b&d Stanley didn't focus so much on porter cable 20v and bostitch power tools and now they got a 8v porter cable impact thing. But atleast now dewalt has caught up well with their 20v max lineup

• Like 1

I have both lines, dewalt 20v tools are better tools for my uses than the m18 line.  The m12 line blows dewalt 12v out the water however.  I have in 20v max, dcd985 hammer drill, dcd995 hammer drill, oscillating tool, saw zall, skil saw, flashlight, 20v 3 speed brushless impact driver, the single speed brushless impact driver, the brushed impact driver, grinder, etc. 

In the m12 line I have the fuel impact driver, the 3 led work light, bandsaw (best tool in the line imo), rotary tool, 3/8" ratchet, and palm nailer.

I use both lines and love both and have no regrets.

Confession to make up front - I'm not a dewalt guy. I prefer other platforms.

I am heavily invested in MW m12 & really like it. No one even comes close to having a similar volume of tools across many trades.

Personally, i don't think you'd be disappointed, but only you can decide.

ive got Bosch and Dewalt 18/20v platforms plus dewalt 12v. id love to have M12 instead, but i like the drill and screwdriver i've got and have no reason to change.

nothing wrong with multiple platforms to me ...

Yea the lack of tools stops people from buying into the system its kind of one of those kind of deals. If you look no one even comes close to Milwaukee with the 12v tools even Bosch and Makita only have a few 12v tools they do have more than Dewalt too though. I think the new Dewalt brushless 20v drill is shorter than the 12v drill by a 1/2 or 1/4 inch so you lose out even with the tools being smaller.

No it looks like Dewalt abandoned the 12v max line, all it seems to be used for now is specialty tools (IR Therm, Therm Imaging, inspect camera, and stud finder that they pulled), I have a few they are nice, but that line really doesn't have much to offer, hence why I thinking of cutting my losses and get some red that has a line behind it.

yep i only kept the 12v Max line cause i've got options in other (18v) platforms, and because i've convinced myself its part of my dewalt line (only have 1 dewalt charger).

but if it was to be your 'go to' tools, especially as a tradesman, you'd be crazy to pick dewalt 12v over bosch, makita and especially milwaukee.

re: the 20v brushless drill being shorter, i can confirm that. the 12v is still much lighter, and its flatpack battery is much smaller, but the brushless 20v is just waaaay better.

All my larger stuff (18v Lithium Ion) is DeWalt. I too decided to look to Milwaukee for my 12v needs. Hard to ignore the depth in that line up. I have the 1/4" Fuel impact and hammer drill/drill combo. I also have the ratchet, multi tool, die grinder, jig saw, 90 degree drill and the three led stick light. I reach for the M12 tools far more than I do the Dewalt 18v stuff. Do I need to bust out the Dewalt stuff sometimes?? Absolutely. But I have no regrets in the money I spent on my M12 kit. It's a quality product.

• Like 1

I am currently a Dewalt 20v guy, have approx. 9 tools, but I have been thinking of getting some smaller more compact tools and with the M12 Fuels I am liking the brushless stuff and I like the ratchet as I would be able to use it, but was wondering if it'll be worth it or should I just stick with my dewalts? I do with dewalt would try to keep up with Milwaukee on tool count. 

I am interested in the M12 Fuel 3/8 Impact Wrench, Screw Driver or Drill (trying to weight pros and cons of each), and the M12 Ratchet.

This will be a change in direction that I have currently gone, as I liked the face of the 20/12V combi chargers and going this direction with nullify this pro. I could just keep using my Impact drivers with proper adapters.....dilemma!

Dewalt tools I have to give better idea how vested I am are: 20V: Recip Saw, Circular Saw, Premium Hammer DCF889, Brushed Impact, 3 Speed Brushless Impact, Grinder, Compact Brushless Drill, Oscill "Multi" Tool, 1/2 High Torque Impact Wrench; and for 12v: Temp Gun and Inspection camera.

The 12v line up is in my opinion a no-brainah it is very compact, versatile, and has decent power. I have a 12v Ridgid Impact and LOVE it. (the M12 line is lighter then Ridgid)