Dewalt 20vmax battery pack vent?

Frain20

It's a heat sink because the 2.0 and 4.0 batteries charging and discharging the 2.0 and 4.0 ah batteries create more heat than the lower amp hour packs. Too much heat will cause damage to the Lithium battery cells. There is one guy here I can't remember his name off hand that knows way more about lithium batteries than I will ever know he could go into more detail about why the 2.0 and 4.0 ah packs need a heat sink.

• Like 1

It's actually where the warning sticker is located,I've seen them checked out like a grille..trying to find a pic now ..

Out of all the places to look and it's on TIA

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2013/05/dewalt-dcd790d2-20v-max-xr-brushless-compact-drill-driver-kit-raising-the-bar/

That mesh pattern on the bottom is only on the 2.0Ah battery. Not the 4.0Ah. Perhaps you have seen the 1.5Ah battery which doesn't have this exposed heatsink?!

• Like 1

You mean this?

dewalt-XR-battery.jpg

18V XR batteries have that as well. There's no opening actually. Must have to do with the design of the inside of the battery...

I'm not 100% sure but I have a strong feeling the slot is for gripping the battery when you remove it from the handle
  • Like 1

Great question. yes, out of all dewalt 20V max battery. Only the DCB 203 2.0ah xr battery pack has I believe its aluminium made thin plate for heat vent to help cool down the cell pack from high discharge and created best performance for using and quicker on the charging. .

• Like 1

From my learning about li-ion pack throught out the passed year or so, tried to learn about battery technology and it took me days reading articles and then you have new batteries in new tools that do not even have documentation detail about them. For my understanding is the reason only the 2.0ah battery pack has it but not the 4.0ah big pack or others. It might be the cost of building them for the manufactory. All major powertool company has their own engineers to build their very own battery pack technology. As I mentioned before there are 3 main companies design, built and provided special high power, high discharge rate li-ion cells to different powertools comparies. Samsung, Sanyo and Sony, also LG and Panasonic are also working on theirs. Bosch, Milwaukee, Ryobi and Hitachi all use Samsung INR cells and Makita uses what appear to be Sony cells. Dewalt used to use Sony cells, and LG. But mostly using the Sanyo red 18650 cells. I personal think Sanyo made the best, long lasting 18650 cells for powertool battery packs rights now.

• Like 1

Anyway not try to go off course of the subject. Since I can talk about battery cells all week long;) dewalt built and lurched the 2.0 pack before the 4.0 if I remember it right. I think only the 2.0 has it, its because of when they design it. They want to step up on the game on making it higher heat ventilation and looks more badass on the 2.0ah small pack with higher amp power/hr capacity packs and only 5mins more on fully charge time than the 1.5ah pack. But reality is they realize it doesnt really make a huge enough difference on it. Since the li-ion cells itself handle well enough on fast self vent already I believe. To cut cost on making the battery pack they took off the design. (As you know every piece of extra material counts on the cost for mass produce product company) Thats why 4.0ah big pack doesnt have it, but remaining on the 2.0ah packs only. If some of you noticed the older ryobi 18V li-ion battery packs has two small speaker looking holes at the back. They have a small heat vent block inside as well, but the newer battery packs doesnt. I believe its the same reason.

• Like 1

I apologize if my lousy, mis spell writing might be hard to understand to certain point. English is not my first language and learning most of my english in hawaii might not be the best either. Lol..... friends often like to tease me said I speak very well chingrish......

• Like 1

That mesh pattern on the bottom is only on the 2.0Ah battery. Not the 4.0Ah. Perhaps you have seen the 1.5Ah battery which doesn't have this exposed heatsink?!

Thats the one,I've never seen a 2.0ah battery yet in the uk just the 1.5ah,3.0ah & 4.0ah

Although saying that,one of the lads I work with spotted an electrician with a 5.0ah battery pack.

Not sure if it was an import from across the pond (branded 20v-max)

Cheers for everyone who replied

Thats the one,I've never seen a 2.0ah battery yet in the uk just the 1.5ah,3.0ah & 4.0ah

Although saying that,one of the lads I work with spotted an electrician with a 5.0ah battery pack.

Not sure if it was an import from across the pond (branded 20v-max)

Cheers for everyone who replied

I saw some third party aftermarket made 5.0ah battery pack, which they put 10 of the 2500mah cells instead of 10x2000mah cells in the 4.0pack. Not sure they are any good thou. But none of them branded 20V max. I have been even having hard time finding place to get the right 2500mah with high drain 10c or 18A above high discharge rate special cells for building myself some costom pack. But I had over heard some other site mentioned about 5.0ah cells is coming out, wonder did other country already released them? Very interesting.

I actually heard Dan and Eric at TIA mentioned about Bosch have a 5.0ah pack coming ouy, also heard bosch debuted their new 18V 5.0Ah Li-ion battery pack at the 2014 World of Concrete show. Although Hitachi recently came out with 18V 5.0Ah Li-ion battery packs, I will assume other powertool brands will release a new higher capacity 18V/20V Max 5.0Ah battery pack in 2014 soon of later. But I don't know Dewalt might have 5.0ah pack out already as well.

Anyways. I put out 6 of my different dewalt 20v max packs to do a weight in. If some of you interested to find out their weight difference.

DCB207 1.3ah ( no gauge ) 12.47oz

DCB201 1.5ah ( no gauge ) 12.20oz

DCB201 1.5ah ( w / gauge) 12.65oz

DCB203 2.0ah ( w / gauge) 13.93oz

DCB200 3.0ah ( w / gauge) 21.35oz

DCB204 4.0ah ( w / gauge) 22.43oz

Just so you know none of the weight in above are from offical either professional. I just use my little digital jewelry scale to come ouy this personal results.

post-28745-0-53130200-1397469007_thumb.jpost-28745-0-53130200-1397469007_thumb.j

Apparently it looked like a genuine battery pack

I've been trawling the internet and found this site

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/dewalt-dck590l2-20v-max-5-0-ah-lithium-ion-5-tool-combo-kit/

Can't say how reputable they are but if it was true I'm sure Dewalt would be marketing the 5.0ah batteries already..

I've been trawling the internet and found this sitehttp://www.performancetoolcenter.com/dewalt-dck590l2-20v-max-5-0-ah-lithium-ion-5-tool-combo-kit/

Can't say how reputable they are but if it was true I'm sure Dewalt would me marketing it already..

Yea.... when I was browsing search by dewalt 20v 5.0ah battery on google. There were a few of those sites shows up. Look in to it. There were nothing saying or showing anything about 5.0ah battery but the title, and the 5pc kits come with 2x 3.0ah pack. so I don't know.

I've been trawling the internet and found this site

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/dewalt-dck590l2-20v-max-5-0-ah-lithium-ion-5-tool-combo-kit/

Can't say how reputable they are but if it was true I'm sure Dewalt would be marketing the 5.0ah batteries already..

Notice the L2 at the end of the model number. That means it's a 3.0 Ah battery in the kit. Please no one buy this expecting the 5.0 Ah battery in the kit. 

M2 = 4.0 Ah (DCB204) x 2

L2 = 3.0 Ah (DCB200) x 2

D2 = 2.0 Ah (DCB203) x 2

C2 = 1.5 Ah (DCB201) x 2

?2 = 5.0 Ah (?) x 2

• 2 weeks later...