Best Open Design Socket Set???

Jordan.M

I'm starting a new job Monday at a cell tower company that upgrades the cabinets from 3g to 4g. This requires upgrading panels/cabinets and pulling 4/0 cable for power. I need a good socket set for installing these cabinets and fabricating shelters for them. I was told that I would need a deep socket set, for installing nuts over all-thread etc. But instead of having to buy deep sockets I figured it would be much more efficient having one set that does it all, such as a pass-thru design or open head design. Has anyone had any good experience with any of these? These are the three I narrowed my search down too.

Thanks

GearWrench

Bostitch

Craftsman

I have had the GearWrench set you linked for about 6 months and it's worked well so far. However I was at Sears recently and saw their set and to me it looks pretty stout.

I'm sure Conductor will be by at some point. He's really knowledgeable with the different hand tool brands and where they are now made etc.........

• Like 1

I have both a gearwrench and craftsman set.

They both are on par with each other but I'd give the craftsman set the edge as it has more sizes and ease of warranty(which I haven't need to with either set)

I bought the gearwrench set several years ago and the craftsman set last year.  They work great in tight areas such as sensor/sending unit access next to a firewall and removing u-bolts/straps on drive line yokes

• Like 1

Gearwrench of Craftsman will be fine for pass throughs. It's important to remember that pass through sets are not going to obsolete deeps on recessed fasteners.

The work great for protruding stock, but if you have a recessed nut you'll need a deep, an extension, or maybe both.

It all depends on what you're working on. I can't imagine too many recessed nut doing tower work, but being 300 ft. in the air is a hell of a time to find out you don't have the right tool.

Gearwrench of Craftsman will be fine for pass throughs. It's important to remember that pass through sets are not going to obsolete deeps on recessed fasteners.

The work great for protruding stock, but if you have a recessed nut you'll need a deep, an extension, or maybe both.

It all depends on what you're working on. I can't imagine too many recessed nut doing tower work, but being 300 ft. in the air is a hell of a time to find out you don't have the right tool.

Actually, these sets have  hollow extensions so it could be used in lieu of a deep socket.  However too me, it feels a bit awkward.  In the instance I need a deep socket I'd rather use a deep socket

• 3 weeks later...

An extension does change things a bit. I'd never seen an extension in a set, but I admit I never really looked that hard either.

GearWrench's kit has an extention, although I know that you don't really like GearWrench...