Killed my impact :(

Conductor562

Dropped my impact off my dad's roof today. Fell about 15 feet on concrete and landed on the metal housing.

It still works, but it makes a funny noise and has less power. I'll dissect it, see if I can fix it, and if not, it may be time to look into the fuel upgrade.

It was the pre-Fuel model and turned 4 in February.

It's lived a hard life and this isn't it's first fall. I doubt I'd get any warranty help. The big gash on the top of the housing screams "I've been dropped".

After 4+ years of constant use I feel I got my money's worth out of it. I'm also considering picking up an identical refurbished model from CPO for like $59

If this had happened a couple of weeks ago before I shelled out $5K to Walt Fucking Disney for vacation I'd already have a new one in the mail, but between that and having to go to Florida once a month for work, Conductor is tapped out at the moment.

If this had happened a couple of weeks ago before I shelled out $5K to Walt Fucking Disney for vacation I'd already have a new one in the mail, but between that and having to go to Florida once a month for work, Conductor is tapped out at the moment.

Dam family and work always getting in the the way. Just kidding just glad that it wasn't you who fell.

• 4 months later...

So... How'd it go???

I got a Fuel impact as a gift and decided against warrantying it. It took it apart, ordered the parts, and fixed it. Works like new.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/4277-pre-fuel-impact-repair/

• 2 weeks later...

It was the pre-Fuel model and turned 4 in February.

It's lived a hard life and this isn't it's first fall. I doubt I'd get any warranty help. The big gash on the top of the housing screams "I've been dropped".

After 4+ years of constant use I feel I got my money's worth out of it. I'm also considering picking up an identical refurbished model from CPO for like $59

This is how I am with tools, I have a Hackzall that's 2 years old that doesn't run right any more.  I've used it more then it was probably ever intended to run and abused including accidentally dropping it into a bucket of water.  It fell from 20' and the battery went flying 40' and still worked but, I feel as though it served its money's worth of time and Milwaukee isn't responsible for me dropping it into water so I'm not trying to turn in a warranty claim.  

I say you couldn't find a better excuse to buy a FUEL so do it, pull the trigger :D  As soon as I got mine I shit-canned the non-FUEL.