Let The Buyer Beware

regopit

I got a call the other day from a couple that had bought their home about a year ago and was starting to have some issues. I pull up to the home and I can tell that it is older home probable about 50 years old, but right from the first look, I tell that this was a flip house. The house looked great from a distance new vinyl siding and replacement widows it was all contractor grade but nice looking. Once inside I could tell everything was done fast cheap and to make it look good. One of the biggest things I pointed out to them was the undersized beam that was put in when they removed the load-bearing wall to open the place up.

The point of the story is that they thought that they could go after the home inspector for the repairs.  I told them that I hated to be the bearer of more bad news but the only thing you can get back is the cost of the inspection. If you read your contract with the inspector you will find that in the small print that the home inspector in not Liable for anything in excess of their home inspection fee. Now they can try and they will get their $350.00 back and spend a lot more going to court to lose or come up the 18 to 20 grand to fix everything or slap some lipstick on this pig and screw the next buyer.   

• Like 2

I think that's a huge scam the home inspection biz. They don't catch anything for the most part at all. I think the big thing they look for is any mold so they can possibly get some kickbacks from the company that removes the mold. A friend had a small roof leak and it was insane how much these guys are making on this crazy mold cleanup its thousands of dollars and all they do is spray some cleaners and dry things out. It's the biggest thing to get into right now a few big companies have popped up around here just doing that.

I think that's a huge scam the home inspection biz. They don't catch anything for the most part at all. I think the big thing they look for is any mold so they can possibly get some kickbacks from the company that removes the mold. A friend had a small roof leak and it was insane how much these guys are making on this crazy mold cleanup its thousands of dollars and all they do is spray some cleaners and dry things out. It's the biggest thing to get into right now a few big companies have popped up around here just doing that.

Home inspectors can only do so much, but they gloss over a lot. This house had about 3in of insulation in the attic, they painted the furnace trying to make it look new, leaking duct work  over loaded breaker box, foundation issues under sized beam the list goes on. It sucks for the owners. They are 25/26 first home and they have a house full of problems to deal with. Lets face it if home inspectors did their job the way it should be done they would catch so much grief from the Realtor they would never get any call backs. I know a lot of the inspectors work hand and hand with the with the Realtor and to me the is a big problem.      

• Like 1

Home inspectors can only do so much, but they gloss over a lot. This house had about 3in of insulation in the attic, they painted the furnace trying to make it look new, leaking duct work  over loaded breaker box, foundation issues under sized beam the list goes on. It sucks for the owners. They are 25/26 first home and they have a house full of problems to deal with. Lets face it if home inspectors did their job the way it should be done they would catch so much grief from the Realtor they would never get any call backs. I know a lot of the inspectors work hand and hand with the with the Realtor and to me the is a big problem.      

How did the codes/ home inspection guy from the municipality miss this under engineered train wreck? In my city if you so much as sneeze, codes is on you like a cheap suit.

I've always wondered how flippers made money, now I know why....Add some lipstick to that pig and BAM!!! tack on 100g's

I friend of mine had a house like that across the street from him it was in rough shape and all they did was pretty that pig up didn't do much besides paint and new windows on the outside when it really needed to be resided and trimmed out.

How did the codes/ home inspection guy from the municipality miss this under engineered train wreck? In my city if you so much as sneeze, codes is on you like a cheap suit.

Older homes man they can either be built really good or be a total train wreck it depends on so many variables on why you get a crap house built without getting called out on it. Even these new homes from the big commercial builders have tons of issues just saw a subdivision with so many houses with missing shingles and the homes are barley 10 years old and they are 3,000 sq feet monsters and are going to be expensive as hell to re-roof.

I have had friends and family ask me to re-inspect their homes and I rip the "inspectors" report apart. They wish they would have paid me to do it instead because I spend 3-4 hours checking out the home and the hired $300 dollar inspection was about an hour. 

I sometimes dabble with the idea of becoming a home inspector just to save people from headaches down the road but in the same breath it can crush their dreams and i don't want to be that guy either. 

What inspection. The people you see flipping homes on TV are one thing but in the real world most theses guys are doing most of the work them self. They don't pull permits and they don't care, get in get out make the most they can if they had to pay somebody to figure out the load of removing a wall and restructuring to do it right it would cut that much more in to the profit. The overloaded panel box is a dead give away if they had a electrician do the work he would have pulled a permit and that would have opened up a can of warms. Once the inspector would have come out to inspect the box and have seen the other work going on he would have started to ask questions.    

• Like 1