My Mayor is Going to get an EarFull Today!

DR99

You probably know I had some water main break issues earlier from that crazy winter. This week in the middle of spring they have shut it off for 2 days straight to do repairs. In about 6-7 months the water has been shut off 8 or 9 times now.

• Like 1

Dan you don't even want to know the mess we are in with the whole City of Detroit bankruptcy. Detroit wants to lease the water system to the suburbs to pay for the system and all the maintenance and capital improvements the water system needs. None of the other county executives in the area around us would agree to crappy terms like that. In the end after spending all the money the people in the suburbs have nothing to show for it after 40 or 50 years. The other option they are considering is privatizing the system which I haven't heard good things about either when it comes to water service for the most part. you end up with really high rates with crap service. The other option being tossed around is building a new water treatment system that's going to cost tons of money to built. Nobody is really taking about how much out water bills will go up either way they could double or triple because all this BS. I would be fine if the suburbs bought the system but that whole lease deal is the dumbest thing ever!

that sucks, they do something like that here in my condos every so often. stupid condos were primarily built to be apartments with one shut off valve per building not per unit, so when the water gets shut off it gets shut off for the entire building. They usually give notices in advance of the shut off but last week they shut it off without notice, I couldn't take a shower till 5pm, I had to marinate in my own filth lol

A person I know has city water, but has a septic system for their waste. You cut your bill in 1/2 by not having to pay for waste water treatment. I'm actually thinking about diverting my shower and sink water into a grey water system to water my plants and lawn.

They added smart water meters a year or so ago so no more estimated readings. Our water bill is the the 100 dollar range consistently now it sucks. You know the most reliable utility has been my Comcast cable and Natural gas. I love Direct Tv but it can get rained out, and we had the worst power outage ever last year. I hope the power situation becomes more reliable. it's a whole different ball game when you lose power when the weather is freezing no power you can't run a furnace. I wonder if Dan and Eric can send a Generator my way to review :) J/K! It's hard to justify the investment for the most part, and I would want one that could run most of my house. It's kind of a luxury to be honest.

I think your going to see farming and companies bail from out west if they can if the drought situation does not improve soon. If you in an industry that needs water I would be deeply concerned.

Without delving into politics (too deeply) in Portland (and I assume Detroit as well, since it's a bigger shithole) money that should have been going to water system maintenance has gone to pet projects. So Portland has large areas of the city that has 100 year old pipes, and suprize suprize, they are starting to fail. Guess they should have fixed the pipes rather than building a fucking bike path...

• Like 1

People like projects that they can see. If they can't see it they don't want to fund it like new parks, pools, or fire and police stations. I'm not saying things like that are not important either water and sewer are the things that just don't get the funding they need.