Any Good Hand Tool Kit?

idontknow312

Hi every. I was wondering if there is any good hand tool kit? Last time i bought a hand tool kit it pretty much failed me. This guy that was repairing my gutter's had to use my hammer to knocked off this big frozen chucked of ice that clogged my gutter. The hammer pretty much bent in half and he critisize my items. So is there any reliable hand tools that you guys use. Or have tested and find it pretty reliable.

FYI i was using HUSKEY because i found this kit on sale in Canadian Tire's.

Personally I like craftsman because everything is guarenteed for life. Most hand tools are, but the problem is you have to spend money on shipping and send them into a repair shop and wait to get something in return. There is basically a Sears in a 20 miles radius of us at all times. I have taken a couple of screw drivers in Sears and it has never been a problem. They just grab one of the shelf and send me on my way. Nice and easy. Thays why I like craftsman because it is very convienent.

• Like 1

I have never heard of jobmate tools. I agree with Gertk about Craftsman tools. Personally I use Snap on tools. Only reason is because I use to be an auto mechanic and had all these toold when I left the job. The only nock against Craftsman is their gas power tools. I would stay away from them, they suck. I bough a weedwacker, trimmer and blower. In about a year in a half everything broke, junk. I do like their power tools. MAybe they just have a crappy manufacture for their gas power stuff.

To answer your question. Sometimes going cheap isn't tool bad esp if your not going to use them a lot. In this case I would spend a couple extra bucks and get a good tool. I have gone cheap on hand tools before and I end up getting more frusterated becuase they don't feel the same, they strip things easier etc. I know you don't have a Sears by you, but maybe you can check them out on their website. I just think Snap on tools are over priced. Great tools and I like them, but expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the difference between these two?

Mastercraft and Mastercraft Maximum? Are they better quality then one another or they are just different names that they charge one more then the other?

I have recently receive our Canadian Tire's flyer and it seems like they are still selling some Mastercraft tools.

I have spotted a 40piece screw driver set from mastercraft for $49.99 and i was wondering if it was worth it ( they don't seem to have that quick snatch that you men/women been talking about).

Sorry, but I have been busy the last couple of days. He wasn't sure the complete difference, but the metal is a little more pure and he thinks a little better. His opinion was spend the money and get the better quality because these are tools that you buy once in your life.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

For pliers and cutters I like Kline . For drivers ditto . The Kline 10 in one and 11 in one drivers are musthave items in any toolpouch . For wrenches , and Sockets I go with Mac and Snap On .

Congrats on your Wave , I have rocked Multi's for years , very usefull items . Get a Leatherman Universal Tool Adaptor - that way it will use 1/4" hex bits .

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ouch, having your tools criticized for their shittiness is the equivalent of your high school girlfriend telling your buddies you were lacking in the man area. There are several top notch tool brands to be had, the real question is how much coin are you willing to drop to obtain them. My personal preference is Proto. They are top of the mark in terms of quality. The downside is that they are not as widely available as some of the other brands and the best selection is through the supply houses that charge 25% over the actual value of the tools. I buy most of mine on ebay or have my dad....borrow them from his employer. Snap-On, Matco, and Mac are all great tools but again they come at a price. Cornwell, Williams, there's a bunch. Look, tools are something that if you buy the right ones your grandkids will be using them. Unless you have an immediate need for a lot of them in a hurry just pick out a good brand, buy them little by little over time as your finances permit, and you'll never be sorry. I don't know much about what's available up your way but anything with a lifetime warranty will suit you well. Make sure it's a real lifetime warranty and not one of those Harbor Freight, gotta have the receipt for the ratchet you got in a set your grandmother got you for Christmas 9 years ago or your shit out of luck, lifetime warranties. I want my repairman to walk away feeling ashamed that he works on shit for a living and my tools are far superior to his.

My favorite tools are as follows:

Power tools: Milwaukee

Mechanics tools: Proto (Snap-On is just as good)

Pliers: Channellock (Knipex also makes awesome pliers if your into german stuff)

Screwdrivers: Klein or Proto

Hammers: Estwing (Proto makes some awesome ball peen hammers)

Punches & Chisels: Dasco (Truthfully, if I had it to do over I'd just buy cheap ass P&C's)

To be fair, all of my sockets under 1" are Kobalt while my ratchets and 1"+ sockets are Proto. I bought the Kobalt sockets in a different time and while they have a true lifetime warranty and would probably be more than sufficient, I have a moral objection to recommending them. Just suck it up, go with Proto, Snap-On, or Matco, and you'll never be sorry other than when you balance your checkbook. :)

• Like 1

Determining who makes the best of anything usually amounts to nothing more than personal prefferance. I like Channellock pliers because I've owned their products for as long as I can remember. I still have the same pair of 420 Channellocks my dad gave me to keep me occupied while he was working in his garage when I was 5 years old. I give them to my little boy to play with and the Lord willing maybe he'll do the same. There's just something about them that makes them feel right in my hand. Can I say they're better than Klein, Knipex, or Snap-On pliers? No I can't, but I feel confident in saying they're just as good. I don't make a living with them, but I use them at least 3 or 4 times a week and I've had them for 25 years so I can't complain. Buy yourself quality tools. If you do you'll enjoy them, you'll be proud of them, and the extra money you spent to get them will never cross your mind. I've seen a lot of people cuss at their Chinese junk tools and slam them against the wall, but I've yet to see the first Proto or Snap-On ratchet hit the wall. You get what you pay for. Buy the best tools you can afford and you'll never be sorry. Your one of us, you may not realize it yet, but you are. The fact that this guy "criticized your items" prompted you to seek out advice means it's in your blood. Next thing you know your homeowners insurance provider will as for pictures of your tools because they think your tool inventory claims are embellished. Be sure and let us know what you decide to go with.

• Like 1

BTW, Proto tools are the primary brand for the Army, Navy, Air Force, NASA, GM, Chrysler, Ford, most major oil, chemical, gas, and railroad companies, Boeing, and the list goes on and on. They're the real deal.

Interesting. I have never used a Proto. Yes I have been living under a rock. I have to now start looking for them and get my hands on some. Stiletto hammers are awesome, I got one as a present and love it, but they are expensive. Estwing is awesome also. They are manufactured about 40 minutes away from my house, so I had a chance to take a tour, very cool. When the press comes down to stamp the hammers, you can feel the floor shake from about 20 feet away. Agree 100%, buy quality.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know about Proto. They're the top tier brand offered by Stanley. They are 100% American made. I got turned on to them by my Dad who was supplied Proto stuff by his employer. He told me about all the abuse they took without compromise and started bringing me home what extras he could. They don't always have the flashy look of the tool truck brands, but man are they top notch. Believe it or not they're sometimes hard to acquire. You can't buy directly from them, they don't have a truck distribution system, they aren't associated with any physical retail chain, and they spend next to nothing on advertising. They don't fool around with Nascar or the DIY shows, their entire business is heavy industry. The best selection is through Granger but you know how that goes. I get most of my stuff from ebay or the through Toolup.com/proto Due to their relative obscurity you can also find them at flea markets and yard sales for cheap. Their combination wrenches are killer as are their ratchets. They offer about 4 different styles. I prefer their Pear head ratchets. They're 60 tooth, have a sturdy look and feel about them, and are available in 2 or 3 different lengths depending on which size drive your dealing with. They also have round head ratchets that are 72 tooth. I only have a 1/4 round head but I like it so well I think I'll have myself a 3/8 version as well. They have an aerospace ratchet for specific applications. If they ever bust they'll send you a rebuild kit that takes about 5 minutes to change out. They offer 2 types of screwdrivers. One is the old school looking clear/yellow plastic handled models while the other is a very nice cushion grip which strongly resembles the Wiha design. I'm also very fond of their adjustable wrenches. Very little jaw wobble compared to most others I've used. They certainly aren't as convenient to buy or exchange as Snap-On, Matco, Craftsman, etc, but there shouldn't be much exchanging required.

I recommend to any Plumber,pipe fitter, or anyone who goes anywhere near a pipe to try a set of footprint pipe grips.

I was bought a pair as an apprentice and 33 years later they are still exactly the same as the day I got them.

They have been hit, clobbered, bashed, thrown, reversed over and just keep working.

They get my vote as the toughest plumbing tool on the face of the earth.

If you find a tougher one I would love to hear about it. :D

• Like 1

I love all these British phrases like "sick to the back teeth" and such. Amazon UK said the pipe grip "usually DISPATCHES" within 2 days. Man, I need some British neighbors. Where I'm from y'all is a proper noun.

• Like 1

We are neighbours pal, its just being an island The pond in our yard is a wee bit bigger than most. :D

We have some very strong accents over here too, I am from the north of England so mine is pretty damn strong.

Folks over here tend to speak in one accent and write in another.

In the north of England where I am from it is full of mad sayings and the list gets bigger every day.

• Like 1

If I was looking for a SET and it was just for occasional use, like behind the seat of my truck, I would either get the Crescent CTK170CMP set or the Stanley 91-988. If I was looking for a set to use daily in the shop and was not to concerned about spending money, the Snap-On 9100GSM would be my first choice. If I was looking for a home maintenance type set I would consider the Mobile Shop (http://www.mobile-shop.com/)If I was just looking for the basics, a component of that set, the MS-CTB would do.

I personally assembled a set into a Veto Pro Pac, which I do change on occasion for certain jobs needs.

As for quality tools that I use, that haven't been mentioned already, there is Armstrong, Bahco, Facom, KD tool, Kowa Seiki, Midwest Tool and Cutlery, Olfa, PB Swiss, SK tools, Tajima, Wiha, and Wera.

Re: Wayne Burgess - on plumbing tools

Rigid is a brand of plumbing tools I trust, I have couple of my grandfathers Rigid pipe wrenches that are still going strong(as well as his even older Stillsons).