Paint or Stain Pressure Treated Wood

DamianD

When i purchased my house, the front porch posts were rotted out and the seller had them all replaced with pressure treated but didnt have them painted. I want them white.  Is it safe to prime and paint pressure treated with exterior paint? My father warns me this will prematurely rot out the wood.  He suggests using a stain tinted white.  

I wanted to look for a vinyl post wrap but havent had any luck being the post is a 3.5 x 3.5.  

Yes, you have to wait for the pressure treating chemicals to dry all the way through the wood before painting. I would wait 6 months to be sure but you would probably be fine after 3 months. When you do paint them either get a paint formulated for pressure treated wood or use a latex based paint. Also do a couple light coats of paint vs one thick coat. Light coat will make it last longer and look better.

I wouldn't know about the time to wait to paint but lowes has vinyl posts on stock for 4x4 posts. I know you said 3.5x3.5 but thats what a 4x4 actually measures.

Heres a picture of the vinyl posts I used for a porch rail I made

post-22854-0-79911600-1406062377_thumb.jpost-22854-0-98009600-1406062386_thumb.j

• Like 1

I wouldn't know about the time to wait to paint but lowes has vinyl posts on stock for 4x4 posts. I know you said 3.5x3.5 but thats what a 4x4 actually measures.

Heres a picture of the vinyl posts I used for a porch rail I made

attachicon.gifIMG_20110728_1659541.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20110728_0916561.jpg

thank you, ill have to take a ride over there