4000 peak watts, 3300 rated watts. Should be enough to run 15 amp miter saw, right?

fishnaked

Just purchased a generator for a one time off-grid yurt project in the mountains requiring the use of a DeWalt 12" sliding miter saw, 15 amp. That's my biggest power tool I'll be using on this project....and since I'm mostly solo, there will be no other tools run at the same time as the miter saw. One tool at a time.

Given that I only needed a generator for this one job, and I'm on a tight budget, I didn't buy an expensive one: DuroStar DS4000S, 7HP...4000 peak watts, 3,300 rated watts. Got good reviews. Paid $300.

I've never used a generator before. Know nothing more than a couple articles I read. Figured this DuroStar would be overkill.

At 15 amp, 120V, my miter saw would need 1800 watts...and a max of 3300 according to this article http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/jobsi...generator.aspx .

Runs my smaller tools great. Even runs my 15 amp circular saw as if it were plugged in to my shop outlet. HOWEVER, when I run my miter saw, it seems to take longer for it to build up its RPMs. It just doesn't seem quite the same as when plugged in to my shop outlet.

Is this normal? Am I going to mess up my miter saw? I need to figure this out soon. Starting this project this Saturday.

Correct you will not mess up your miter saw, there is only one thing that could go wrong with a smaller generator:

Just purchased a generator for a one time off-grid yurt project in the mountains requiring the use of a DeWalt 12" sliding miter saw, 15 amp. That's my biggest power tool I'll be using on this project....and since I'm mostly solo, there will be no other tools run at the same time as the miter saw. One tool at a time.

Given that I only needed a generator for this one job, and I'm on a tight budget, I didn't buy an expensive one: DuroStar DS4000S, 7HP...4000 peak watts, 3,300 rated watts. Got good reviews. Paid $300.

I've never used a generator before. Know nothing more than a couple articles I read. Figured this DuroStar would be overkill.

At 15 amp, 120V, my miter saw would need 1800 watts...and a max of 3300 according to this article http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/jobsi...generator.aspx .

Runs my smaller tools great. Even runs my 15 amp circular saw as if it were plugged in to my shop outlet. HOWEVER, when I run my miter saw, it seems to take longer for it to build up its RPMs. It just doesn't seem quite the same as when plugged in to my shop outlet.

Is this normal? Am I going to mess up my miter saw? I need to figure this out soon. Starting this project this Saturday.

- Miter saw is a beast and uses more then the rated wattage of your generator then the generator will not be able to keep up.

(Miter saw will only consume the power it needs, so you cant have too much power going to it on a 120v circuit.) Hope this helps.