Am I a tool nut or not?.....

comp56

ever since I was a young boy I have been fascinated by tools of some sort, all thru growing up I had some kind of reason to have and use tools...

whether it be work on a bicycle or take apart grampa's old radio just to see how it works.....

early in my career I would work on cars, boat motors and even lawn mowers, always something.

weld a bracket on a trailer or even build a trailer from the axles up...

my group of friends had a big impact on what tools I ended up with, buddy would buy a xxx tool and I would see how easy things were with said tool and boy do I got to have one of those....

over the years I have acumulated my different tools for wood working, mechanical jobs right down to concrete...

do I have more tools than some of my buddies sure are some of my tools overkill for a back yard shop to some? absolutely but I also like taking pride in stuff I do and not that good tools guarantee good work it sure helps if you know how to use them. I know in many cases a good designed tool can speed things up or make better looking functioning results.

I know I'm not buying tools like excerise equipment, spend $800 and use it 4 times if I pay for a tool most likely I use it on a regular basis.

I know doctors and lawyers that walk around in suits all day and then on weekends they are knees deep in their tools in the back yard. well I'm not the suit type but I share the same passion......

on the other side of the coin there are people that need tools for their job, many tools in fact but do they have these tools because they need them or because they just want them......time is money for anyone and obviously some tools help no different for the back yard guy doing a project for someone. 

so in saying all that Am I a tool nut? 

• Like 2

I didn't have the money for the best tools or the right tool for a job and I paid the price. Either busted knuckles or seeing a huge repair bill by having someone else do the repair. I tried to suggest some quick cheap fixes for a person with a black pack blower that was acting up. Taking something in for a small engine repair is a expensive now. It's a minimum of $75 dollars it seems now

• Like 1

Ur a super tool nut bro and there's no fixing that man....... That's why were all here to help eachother with this infectious addicting habbit that makes ur wallet sweat when next to any kind of tools and the urge to have to be in tool section 7 days a week to make urself feel kinda better!!!!!!.......uuaahhhh!!!! Lol!!!

I'm there too man. I have a lot of stuff that goes beyond what I really "need", but I wanted it.

I keep telling myself that at some point I'll have everything I could realistically ever use, but I don't know who I think I'm kidding. I'll be buying tools until I die.

• Like 3

Comp, I'm right there with you buddy! I assume many of us are!!

I too have always loves tools and just making something with my hands. From being Lego obsessed as a young kid to now owning a remodeling company.

When other kids on Christmas were getting new bikes or the latest game console, I was literally getting mechanic's tool chests, air compressors, angle grinders, and torque wrenches ( back in my high school days I was most into mechanics tools, welders, etc.now I'm much more construction/woodworking focused)

There is something very satisfying about having not only the right tool for the job, or a tool for any job, but also the knowledge and ability to use them!!

I'm there too man. I have a lot of stuff that goes beyond what I really "need", but I wanted it.

I keep telling myself that at some point I'll have everything I could realistically ever use, but I don't know who I think I'm kidding. I'll be buying tools until I die.

Haha, I can't help but perfectly relate to this!! Your need/want rings very true with me also, but you second comment is so 100% right on!!

I don't know how many times I've told myself or my wife that if I just get this or that new tool I will be all set. Haha. That is NEVER the case :)

Ahh... I love buying tools :) :) :)

My wife and kids are fully supportive to my tool addiction, in fact they are indirectly enablers.......buying me tools for birthdays and such.....my wife shocked me 1 time in home depot, I was looking at a M18 circular saw that was on sale........as I was holding the demo tool looking at it my wife says to the fellow helping me is it the fuel version? he says no not this one and we don't have any in stock......my wife says well there is no sense buying this one, wait for the fuel version to come in .........

and here I didn't think she listened to my mumbling about tools as I often do.....

• Like 1

My wife and kids are fully supportive to my tool addiction, in fact they are indirectly enablers.......buying me tools for birthdays and such.....my wife shocked me 1 time in home depot, I was looking at a M18 circular saw that was on sale........as I was holding the demo tool looking at it my wife says to the fellow helping me is it the fuel version? he says no not this one and we don't have any in stock......my wife says well there is no sense buying this one, wait for the fuel version to come in .........

and here I didn't think she listened to my mumbling about tools as I often do.....

Whatever you do, dont let that one get away!!!    she is a keeper!! :)

Conductor's Mom: What do you want for Christmas?

Me: I dunno, maybe some wrenches.

Conductor's Mom: Good Lord, you can't be serious! How many wrenches do you have?

Me: What if 30 people stop by on the same day and need to borrow a 9/16" wrench? I'd be 2 or 3 short.

Conductor's Mom: You need help. Serious, professional help.

Me: I'll send some links to the wrenches.

Conductor's Mom: (hangs up the phone)

• Like 1

Conductor's Mom: What do you want for Christmas?

Me: I dunno, maybe some wrenches.

Conductor's Mom: Good Lord, you can't be serious! How many wrenches do you have?

Me: What if 30 people stop by on the same day and need to borrow a 9/16" wrench? I'd be 2 or 3 short.

Conductor's Mom: You need help. Serious, professional help.

Me: I'll send some links to the wrenches.

Conductor's Mom: (hangs up the phone)

Moms, wives, girlfriends, siblings.... they will just never get it, will they!?!

I must be some sort of luck NE. The last time I went to Woodcraft with Samantha she bought me the Domino while I was talking to Paul about dust collection. I turn around and we're walking out with it. She keeps trying to make me buy more stuff!

I'm lucky too, I made a deal with the therapist I see about my tool addiction.....she will give me 8 free sessions and buy me a new mitre saw of my choice if I install her kitchen cabinets.....

• Like 1