M18 Fuel impacts

Bremon

Long time reader and first time poster, I'm looking to get an impact wrench and am specifically looking at the 2763 and the 2654. From what I can see, the 2654 doesn't have as many pros to it. I would use it for general automotive and general construction use, but overall I just want it to be able to handle anything I throw at it. I work in construction, not automotive. It seems to me the only thing the 2654 has going for it is its size (I do love the size of my 2653). For the small increase in price of a kit, is the 2763 the right direction for most to go in, or is it specifically for heavy duty use? The main thing I'm asking is which tool has more widespread use (I understand that since they are both impact wrenches they have a large amount of overlap in scopes of work). The girlfriend will kill me if I buy one and end up deciding I also need the other haha.

I have both, the 2654 is great for most jobs, but the 2763 is the work horse, but is heavier but it will get the work done. My buddy is still using a corded Milwaukee 1/2" impact and while installing Draft Horse Stall at the local fair, all he could complain abot was his extension cord.

You do need both!

i think that the big impact wrench should be purchased for specific activities in mind. automotive, tilt-panel work etc. I would never own the big one without owning the compact version as well, because using the big one on small threads is bound for trouble.

having said that a little adapter on your impact driver can play this part too, which makes a lot of financial sense.

• Like 1

I have both. Not a pro wrench, just servicing my own stuff. Even including my fullsize trucks, I use the 3/8" Compact probably 90% of the time. The High Torque has awesome power, but it is large and heavy, and awkward to use in many areas, sometimes impossible. I'd definitely go with the Compact first.

I guess I'm weird. I have the compact Milwaukee (Pre-Fuel) and the Mac BWP050. Most times I use an impact it's on lugs or the under carriage, so the high torque is in order. I use the compact rarely, but that may be because it's a pin anvil so it's a pain in the ass.

• 1 month later...

Just checking back in (yes, it's been a while). I just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I'm very happy with the capabilities of this impact. Build quality is what you would expect of the Fuel line, and even though it weighs almost twice as much as my Fuel impact driver, it's well balanced and comfortable in the hand. I also got the protective boot thrown in with the purchase so the value aspect of the kit weighed in the 2763s favour. The 2654 is still a possibility in the future but big red has other tempting products coming out that may be a bit more of a priority. Thanks again everyone.

Haha I still have some willpower to resist the Fuel stuff. Although, not much, I got into the m12 stuff too which I didn't initially see the need for. Power tools are more addictive than I initially would have guessed!

You have to try the M12 fuel stuff.