New member and some of the stuff I've done over the years

99_XC600

Hi everyone. Just signed up today and figured I would add some of examples of what I've done around the house.

I live up in the Northeast and our home is a 2 story colonial with a detached 24x24 2 bay garage. House was built in 1912, so needless to say we have had a lot of projects to kee us busy. My wife and I have done a lot of the work on our home to save on labor costs. We sided and replaced the roof on the garage last year and for the summer were currently replacing all of the windows.

156828_10201114287968993_333572457_n_zps

148997_10201120049153019_58754700_n_zpsp

563248_10201114289449030_429165246_n_zps

563669_10201120047512978_28170230_n_zpsn

534786_10201120048673007_2128722704_n_zp

525222_10201114288489006_1312532066_n_zp

15187_10201120047912988_866028248_n_zpsk

37058_10201125486728955_736378426_n_zps9

This was when the siding was completed. I still needed to paint the doors and do the coil trim work around the door. I forgot to take a pic of that.

• Like 1

Man U got some skills bro everything came out nice!! I use work for a company called Morrison hope roofing I was part of the tear down crew man that job sucked don't miss it at all..

Honestly, I don't know how people do it for a living. The garage wasn't that big, but after stripping 3 layers of old roofing, pulling the nails and then humping everything back up on the roof I was ready to call somebody to finish the job. :)

And we still had to do the cleanup on the ground.

Nice work, gotta love a 2car garage man

There are definitely a lot of advantages on having it detached from the house. It gives you the freedom of making as much noise and mess as you want without the worry of disturbing anyone or tracking it into the house.,

I never minded roofing that much, yeah its physical but you work in nice weather (sometimes not so nice) and you never have to go to a gym!

the siding turned out fantastic and that's one job I don't prefer...

windows look great too, I have done a few myself and as long as you order the right sizes then it goes smoothly haha.

welcome to the crew and hopefully you can share your insight with us and teach some of the "old dogs" and young pups like myself looking for guidance on projects.

man that roof was a mess before you re-roofed it. great job! it looks like a lot of work but fun to.

Wow, That garage looks amazing now!! that roof was was in aweful shape!!! It does feel good too accomplish something around the house.

Yes, the roof started to leak on my wife's side (Jeep) even with 3 layers of shingles on it. With all of the plants and moss growing on it, someone could have had a nice salad with their steak.

I never minded roofing that much, yeah its physical but you work in nice weather (sometimes not so nice) and you never have to go to a gym!

the siding turned out fantastic and that's one job I don't prefer...

windows look great too, I have done a few myself and as long as you order the right sizes then it goes smoothly haha.

welcome to the crew and hopefully you can share your insight with us and teach some of the "old dogs" and young pups like myself looking for guidance on projects.

The siding was pretty easy considering the garage is just a giant box. No real crazy angles to deal with. I just pulled off the original white siding and left the starter strips on it. Everything was nice and level when I hung the new material.

Best part of the garage was that I sold the original siding on CL for $75. I didn't even have to get a dumpster for it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks - I'm almost done with the all of the windows on the 1st floor. Only have 2 more to go then going to the second floor.

I'm debating on whether or not to replace some of our windows on my own or just pay someone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Honestly, it's not that hard to do. As long as you measure everything correctly, the install goes pretty smoothly. I used a carpenters folding rule to measure all of mine and this is the best way to do it. No guessing at all. 

Besides, what you save in the labor costs to pay someone else, you can invest in a better window.